1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bead blasting rotors

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MicahSa15, Jul 13, 2012.

1. MicahSa15

MicahSa15 Well-Known Member

Does any one know where I can get my rotors bead blasted in the Seattle area?

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Yellow pages?

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I had good luck just looking for "media blasting" in my local area. A few options came up.

4. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

5. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I had mine done at the local radiator shop.

6. MicahSa15

MicahSa15 Well-Known Member

You (the Beeb) are my motorcycle yellow pages :cool:

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Micah, get in touch with Brad Gua at Performance Coatings, in Auburn. (253) 735-1919

8. 82Airborne

82Airborne Well-Known Member

ok, cherry question here... what is the benefit of media blasting your rotors.

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Brake pads work by putting down a very, very thin coating of brake pad material called a "deposition layer" on to the metal surface of brake rotors. (That's what you're doing when you're "bedding" them in.) From then on, when the brakes are hot enough the brake pad will generate friction not by grinding themselves down against the rotors, but by constantly creating and breaking molecular-level bonds with the deposition layer as it squeezes past. That produces much better braking power and much better pad life, but it only happens when they're hot.

Deposition layers aren't compatible across different pad compounds (different metal mixtures, sintered metal vs carbon.. etc) so if you switch pads, you need to remove that deposition layer. There are lots of ways to do it but blasting with tiny glass beads is the most effective. (NOT simply "sandblasting" btw! Despite the name, they don't actually usually use sand - effectively tiny glass beads - they often use Aluminum Oxide, which is much harder than the steel of your rotors and grains will embed themselves in the surface, which will screw up the bedding process.)

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

creates a virgin surface area without removing material.

11. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Having done both bead blasting and rotor honing it myself I recommend the rotor hone. $40 and you can use it multiple times, BB typically cost that for 1 set of front rotors. I used a medium grit rotor hone and it took no longer than 20 mins.

12. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

You mean if you switch pad types. Right?