1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baseboard heat replace copper pipe with Pex?

Discussion in 'General' started by tony 340, Apr 5, 2010.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Is this possible?

Some family members have a leak between 2nd and 3rd floors in a pretty hard to get to area. I was hoping to help them out.

Looks like from what I can tell 2 different copper joints are seeping for the baseboard heating system supply or return lines. I can't really tell from the tight spot it is in.

Would pex work for this, or would the temperature be too high?

I'm really not feeling like cutting a 6' hole in the ceiling and using Mapp gas between walls.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

PEX is what they use for in-floor heat. I can't imagine there would be any problems with using it for HW baseboard installations, I wouldn't think the boiler is going to be any hotter/higher pressure for baseboard than in-floor.

3. tony 340

That was my concern was the heat/pressure.

I don't really know jack squat about baseboard heating.

All I know is the leak needs to be fixed.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Just called a plumber friend of mine, and he used PEX for the radiator lines in one of his rental houses. Check with your local building/plumbing codes to be sure, but I don't think you'll have any issues. Good luck! :up:

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Use Shark Bites. Cut the leaking fitting out and use them and your done. The make straits , 90's ,T's ........ect.

6. tony 340

awesome, thanks guys

7. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I put an infloor heat system in my house and am running two zones at 12psi at 140*f. I also have an outdoor wood boiler I use as my primary heat source for my infloor heat and DHW in the winter. That runs 1" pex at 180*F at 0 psi.
    You can definitely install for baseboard heat and have no problems. I didn't used the sharkbite fittings because they are more expensive and you can get the same results using the copper rings and barbed fittings. The stainless hog ring types are newer and nice due to only requiring 1 crimper for all sizes.

I think most pex is rated for 200*F at 100psi but don't quote me on that. I am working out of town and can't verify what I have

Typical baseboard temps are 180*F at 12 psi. Pex expands so keep that in mind when you install the line.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010