1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Sep 10, 2019.

1. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Fully Jha B- kitted Honda with all kinds of good primary and secondary compression,knifed rod,cut clutch,ti fastners all around internal,rem'd tranny,stuffed cases,piston massaged and we were at 44-45 , 17 lbs of torque. Granted we didn't sit there all day and re -jet (conservative jetting,like 1-2 sizes bigger)for all out maxiumum HP ( std setup we were at 40-41) cause most times the bike wouldn't run for very long on real track conditions. On the 250 we were at 88 mostly std with some pipes and heads. Run on dyno jet stuff back around 2007. Now 50-52 HP from WGP 125 stuff , certainly.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This sounds right... that's still a very strong 250.

ducnut likes this.
  3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Steve you need to make a comeback!!

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Drop got dropped from his own thread...love it

5. knedragon29

I think I'm done turning a wheel at speed …. not sure how the New Chromium Cobalt hardware bits will fare in a fall. Too much time healing invested to find out. The whole florida scene is a mess. Means lots of traveling as well as hardly a two-stroke in sight at the tracks. On top of that parts are hard to come by and aren't cheap if they do come around( I have plenty of stuff to make all 3 bikes run for a good long while). Slowly working on getting some stuff cleaned up and put back together. Half way figuring out what I actually have ( that will take a good few months :crackup:)

SpeedyE and Gino230 like this.
  6. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I wanna say late 2003 or 2004 after AMA he was at a FUSA weekend at VIR and pulling allll the 600s on the straight away. It was comical.

418, ducnut and turner38 like this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Don't know why it would be comical... a 250 crushes a 600 in power/weight ratio.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

It was right around that time that 600's started beating up on the 250's. 250 guys were none too happy about being replaced by production machines.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Quicktoy and 5axis like this.
  9. Quicktoy

It was like watching a 750 blow by a 600

10. knedragon29

Must have been a lot of “ Darren Luck “ involved

Sabre699, CR750, YamahaRick and 2 others like this.
  11. Quicktoy

Lmao. I was there for that too

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Considering at the time he was competitive with 1100's (with a wee overbore granted) a 600 was nothing.

418, turner38 and Quicktoy like this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You ever ride a TZ250? No I would guess, and fyi they're a super bad ass good time regardless of your not quite right tuning statements. But alas those were 90s and so long ago.

turner38 and YamahaRick like this.
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

It's 2019 and there's still not anything that can come close to the specs of a 250GP bike as far the weight and power.

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Second or third race weekend ever - at Gateway, go out for morning practice and Matt Hall is there with his RS250 Honda, get on pit out and it was like watching a cartoon.

Kapwing!————> he was gone.

My first real world perspective on a true GP 250. Holy crap.

It was beautiful.

sdiver likes this.
  16. Quicktoy

A 500 2 stroke wins weight to power ratio ;)
    Damn. You did say 2019 lol.

17. knedragon29

Sad part is you hear HRC claim all the 2-stroke tooling stuff was wiped out in the Tsunami/earthquake :whoosh:, yet all the 4 stroke stuff survived :bow:

The last few years I was racing lightweight classes , Chris Boy's Ducaca based bikes were a handful to stay in front of. They had lots of $$$$$ tied up into them Bimotas and Fancy Ducatis chasing my bone stock 250 :crackup:

18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

As a kid that was lucky to attend AMA road races in the 70's, I have fond memories of bikes like these:

tz750.png

Best memory ever: one year, my dad snuck me into the hot pits for the Daytona 200 - I think I was 14 or 15. When 80 of these monsters, most all TZ750s, took their warm up lap, I crossed the pits and joined the photographers standing on a jump for the MX track (The MX race was held on Saturday afternoons). Hey, I had a camera - I was legit. :--)

It was a three wave start. I think they took off in waves of 30-30-20. Just imagine 30 of these bikes, revving at redline, with basically no silencers on their 120 expansion chambers. The grandstands behind you reflected the sound to your back. It seemed to shake the ground like an earthquake.

Man, I had a great childhood.

It's just so sad that, when I look for an image of a TZ750 or TZ350, most of the bikes are in museums. :--(

Startup of one:

History lesson taught by The King, at Laguna Seca, 2011.

turner38 likes this.
  19. knedragon29

Henry DeGouw had his out a bunch around 2010-2013 ( maybe a bit after but I wasn't around) , I would love to hear one run full song though, he was babying her around.