1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bad use of "born in the usa"

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by punkrockrob, Mar 28, 2003.

1. punkrockrob

punkrockrob Well-Known Member

I can't believe I keep hearing news programs using this song while talking about the war. Doesn't anyone listen to lyrics? Its a protest song against wars just like this one. I just thought it was funny and rediculous at the same time.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Plus I'd wager you a pound of pencil shavings that Bruce Springsteen is rolling over in his grave with the use of his song for the broadcasts. :D

3. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

Springsteen is dead?

4. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

no, just wishes he was :D

5. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

....I don't think he was born in the USA anyway...

6. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

...not New Jersey?...

7. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, check me....

8. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Freehold, NJ.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What exit is that?

:D

10. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

well hell, NJ shouldn't count anyway...sorry all:rolleyes:

11. Knarf Legna

Parkway or Turnpike? :p

12. Knarf Legna

Don't you have a persimmon festival or something to get ready for? :D :D

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

ROTF!

Where is Mount Laurel NJ?

14. Knarf Legna

Exit 4 ! :D

15 miles SE of Philly. Nothing but apple orchards 20 years ago, now it's condos, strip malls and cookie cutter housing developments. Infamous for the Mount Laurel I and II NJ Supreme Court decisions for exclusionary residential zoning.

15. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Did you look that up or do you just happen to be a persimmon aficionado??? BTW, only thing to get ready for in this town is diviorce or death.

16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

8 off of the Turnpike, 105 from the Parkway.:) (I grew up in Colts Neck, next town over.)

17. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

It's not the first time. In '86 Reagan gave a speech citing "Born in the USA" as a symbol of something-or-other, I forget the exact words, but it was pretty clear he (and his speechwriter) didn't have a clue as to the meaning of the song. And a few months back there was a commercial, for Wangler jeans maybe?, that used snippits from it in this rah rah red white and blue type ad. Also, it's not, strictly speaking, an anti-war song. More a commentary on how Vietnam vets were treated by the public and how government was willing to turn it's back when there was no political advantage in helping them.

18. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I just hope he's not Canadian:Puke:

:D

19. Knarf Legna

I grew up on a farm, so I know my fruit trivia. ;)

Also birthplace of Gus Grissom, right? I love that line from The Right Stuff:

Life Magazine: "Gus? We can't have an astronaut named Gus! Don't you have a middle name?"

Grissom: "Yeah, Ivan".

Life Magazine: "Gus is fine."

Last edited: Mar 28, 2003
  20. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Re: Re: bad use of "born in the usa"

Ronnie used the tune for campaign purposes, also. Bruce was quite pissed off about this, according to reports in the media.
    Another amusing example was Aerosmith's "Janie Got A Gun", which inspired Sinead O'Connot to shoot off her mouth (again) before reading the lylics, which dealt with sexual abuse upon children by parents.