1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Teachers thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by BigBird, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

What hasn't been let out to the public yet is that almost all of Pinkerton's senior football players failed their drug tests...for heroin.

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Where are these kids parents? Seriously.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Believe it or not, you can't watch you kids 24 hours a day, especially when they are old enough to drive. You sometimes have to rely on the judgement of others.

4. Fonda Dix

If you have a child who chooses to engage in sex and drug use with their teacher, worrying about watching them 24/7 is like putting a thimble of water on a forest fire. You failed that effort long ago.

I know where my kid is 24/7 because I KNOW my damn kid, her values, and her morality. Not because I am watching her.

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I don't have any kids but here it goes: :stupid:

A kid wihtout a long-term outlook or goals (other than to have sex with teacher or other) is nearly doomed.

I subscribe to the theory that parenting's goal should be to prepare the child for the absence of parenting. We don't know when we will go. While we are here, especially at the early stages, we should promote as much self-awareness and reliance so that we can be there to help them pick up when they fail and having a lesson learned.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I am sure your child will follow all your instructions to a T just as you followed all your parents' instructions.
    I have no doubt you never did anything your parents wouldn't have approved of and never lied to them or hid your actions from them, and that your child is following exactly in your footsteps.
    What was it like to have your first drink at the age of 21?

7. Fonda Dix

I am too. Thanks.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Nice edit. :D

I am proud of my daughter and we worked hard to instill what we believe to be proper values and behavior. For the most part, we have been quite successful. Still she is her own person, same as I am, and I would be disturbed if I thought we had raised a child that never challenged what we taught or did exactly what we said 100% of the time.

9. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

If she wasn't challenging you, she would not be doing her job or being a child for the brief time what we are trully allowed to to be one.

I always thought that the hardest thing that would challenge me about being a parent is balancing discipline (personal responsibility) and killing a child's time. The teaching of consequence is key to the development of a proper citizen but embracing/understanding consequence is the end of childhood.

10. Fonda Dix

Challenging you and your way of thinking is exactly what a healthy, well raised child does.

Having orals with a teacher between heroin bumps is a little beyond challenging you.

11. charles

charles The Transporter

Not to agitate, but…do you honestly believe that 'children' are simply empty vessels into which you (or someone else) pour your astute, all encompassing wisdom, knowledge, ethics and morality? Isn't at least some part of it a matter of hoping (praying?) everything turns out okay? Isn't some of this equation culturally defined and not just individually defined? Can youth be 'led astray'?
    Does 'forgiveness' fit into all of this somewhere?

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I forgive you for not already knowing the answer.

13. Fonda Dix

:crackup:

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Absolutely! At least I would believe that if I were a parent, until defeated by reality.:D

You got it right though. Children are empty vessel, each with unknown possibility. It should be our duty as parents to built them strong so that they can navigate far from shore and make many safe return.

I have faith in individuals. I don't like the idea of saying "no" to a child. I hardly use such language as I see it detrimental, even among adults.

Hoping and praying, are immobilizers that serve as excuses for not getting on with the task at hand, making sure a child can be a productive and true citizen in the absence of a parent or law. One that is ready to take up any challenge, always climbing and with his/her own compass.

Forgiveness is a must. As I said before, the rules shold be simple for an indivdual:

1. Accept everything.
    2. Try to understand most things.
    3. Never compelled to endorse anything.

I apply that in general and the same would apply to a child.
    I push for failure and lots of it. Recovering or moving forward should be a well know exercise. Failure at 18+ of age is not all that fun.

I believe that the true definition of an adult is when the environment we are exposed to no longer controls us. The environment shapes the child, not the adult.

As parents, caution is surely a consideration when exposing your child to the world, which is a must and must be done with patience and enough time. Unfortunately/fortunately, patience I have. Time not so much. Hence, why I have fathered no child.

I cannot speak for the decisions of others. But I know the reason/excuses behind mine.

However, looking around, it does seem that good parenting is generally absent. It is societal calamity that plagues us all. Regardless of the walls we built we are never an island to ourselves.

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Wait…you don't have children? BTW, I didn't really write that children were empty vessels…anyway, I don't disagree with much of what you say here, but would add that idealism often fades in the harsh glare of reality.

16. charles

charles The Transporter

I only know about the space-time continuum.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Humans are a result of the sum total of genetics, environment, teaching, and experiences. Even under nearly identical circumstances, no two will end up exactly alike. You do the best you can.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Children are empty vessels.

You fill them with love and kindness and caring and beauty and the occasional overdose of candy...

Then you send them to public school, where they will be emptied of all the love and kindness and caring and beauty and (since Empress LardAss) the occasional overdose of candy. :down:

Our special little snowflake has seen a downward departure in behavior since going to daycare. Monkey see, monkey do. We correct it and enforce a strict apology regimen. At best, we'll raise a creature that knows the humility of looking those she's wronged in the eye and make amends for it. At worst, we'll raise the most accomplished liar since the Clinton Administration.

Sincerity...once you can fake that, you've got it made. :up:

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You guys really think this is something new, one of my classmates in high school hooked up with one of his teachers, moved in together after graduating high school. That was in the 70's. One of my aunts married her high school history teacher the day after graduating from high school in the 50's. They had five kids and were married over 40 years.

20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

My guess is that it was easier to keep these things concealed in a world that did not have cell phone call records, email, and text messages.