1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backyard MX Track Design

Discussion in 'General' started by spoon32, Oct 29, 2020.

1. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

I have thought about building an MX track behind the house for quite sometime and am now seriously looking to make it happen. I have a 450x300 (3acre) piece of land that is already clear but unfortunately flat as can be. I do have plenty of dirt and equipment available that can be brought in.
    Obviously this won't be a pro grade track nor does it need to be. I could probably draw something out but I was curious if anyone on here may have some prior experience with this, or even better, be creative enough to layout a cool little track to fit on this plot of land?

2. joec

joec brace yourself

Dirt track style oval.. kidney bean/Figure 8 option with a little jump and chicane and berm on either straight.

3. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

I was actually thinking something more like the image below. This claims to be on 3acres although it seems to be far more rectangular of a plot which lends itself to some straighter sections.
    [​IMG]

4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Can't help with layout but I'm following this as I have something similar in mind. I don't have any cleared area available now that we fenced most of it in for pasture, but still have 5 acres of woods in the back. I built a small woods course back there, but would like to add some MX style elements to it. Something like that course above would take me a year to build with my tractor :)

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Make sure you check local ordinances about noise and shit. Guy near me is way out in the country and has to get a permit every weekend to have people ride on it. Not sure what exactly it is for but, ya know, dont want to build a track you cant even ride on.

7. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

backbone likes this.
  8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

There are like 4 or 5 mx tracks in my neighborhood and I have yet to see bikes on any of them :)
    They are surrounded by thousands of acres of bml land so I am not sure why this guys even bother building tracks.

9. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

Thanks guys. Maybe I wasn't overly clear.... The point is to have this for me only. I am not looking to run it as a business or allow other people on it.
    I do have a few tracks in the area that are inside of an hour drive but they are rarely groomed (which in Ohio means rock hard clay) and even fewer hold open practice. Seems more are going towards race only setups for some reason.
    I thought maybe someone on here may have some design experience or want to take a try at drawing one up. I contacted a few professional track design services and I'll see what they come up with.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  10. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

That's awesome! If it were closer I'd just buy that and sell my current property. :crackup:

jksoft likes this.
  11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Why not design your own???

You've clearly ridden enough tracks to know what you like and want.

Get out some paper, scale your lot onto and then draw in your favorite sections of various tracks, then connect with berms and straights.

Razr likes this.
  12. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

Fair question and I have thought about it. I don't don't think I could put something together with any kind of flow and also best utilize the available space. That is a good suggestion though so maybe I will head over to my favorite track and get some measurements of certain sections.

13. joec

joec brace yourself

Just going to throw this out there too. As I've seen things like this get kicked in the balls more and more. Check your home owners insurance if you think it will be an issue later. I've seen people build all kinds of fun stuff only to have some jackwad insurance co tell them to "rip it down or find another insurer"

spoon32 likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Do you ride on this area now? Just start making laps and see what you like. Your tracks will show up in no time, then start adding elevation changes, berms, banking as you see fit. Even if you spend money on someone else designing it, you might not like the layout. Like Clemson said, start with what you like then connect the dots. Sounds like a fun project.

jksoft and joec like this.
  15. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

Thanks for the pointing that out! I'm not going to ask directly but I will look through the policy for any verbiage which may include something like this. I'd guess my pool without a fence is good indication I am not on their radar.

joec likes this.
  16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Great advice...who would've thought a treehouse would void my homeowners? It did, so I Bobcated it down and burned about 2k worth of lumber!

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Being off their radar is good, but filing a claim can put you in a bad spot.

18. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Good suggestion. This is how our woods course came to be. Just started riding, then cleaning things up, taking down selected trees and adding features as we went. Still much more I'd like to do.

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You have a tractor or a skid steer? Get some dirt and play with it. Soon you'll be the envy of the beeb.

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I used to make my own killer tracks on Excitebike, so I could probably whip up something pretty cool.