1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backfire at idle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Marcmcm, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I went and looked at a bike with a friend last night and while it was running at idle there was a light backfire. The bike is an 82 CB650. Undoubtedly, I'll end up helping him fix it after he buys it so I better start doing my research now. :D

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

oem pipes?
    that one's prolly an exhaust leak(rusted) if it otherwise runs smoothly, i.e., no hang idle, good throttle response, easy starting, etc.

3. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

It does have OEM pipes....I'll check it out next week.

4. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

a crash truck driver's opinion: its too rich at idle, if has carbs: maybe jetting was changed from stock? or maybe a dirty air filter?

5. Rodger

Rodger RamJet

Has it been sitting with fuel in the carb bowls for a long time ( old gas ? ) ? The modern gas is 10X worse than the older stuff for clogging the carb when left sitting .

6. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

The current owner claims he cleaned out the carbs within the last month or so. It starts right up and idles well, it just has a slight backfire while idling but the idle is smooth.

7. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Could be the carbs are still lean from the popping. Then again, you take a compression test before buying... That popping could be a burnt valve pushing out the a/c or exhaust side.

8. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, are we talking about a backfire or afterfire?

Backfire comes BACK through the intake

Afterfire come out the exhaust (although this is incorrectly but commonly called a backfire)