1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back To The Track After 2+ Decades

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Washed, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Washed

Washed Member

Morning!

Did some WERA back in the mid-90s aboard an old pig ZX-6E at tracks like Putnam, IRP, and I want to say either Grattan(?) or Gingerman(?). Never moved beyond novice status before life got in the way. 2020 is the year I get back on the track.

I still live in Indiana, so the North Central region is where I'd land. Based off the recently released 2020 schedule it looks like a new rider school is held in conjunction with the first event of the year up at Grattan, so that'll be covered.

I had just a couple of questions that I can't figure out on my own ~

1) Going back to the mid-90s, would any of my information still be on file? Mainly curious about license here. I did not see my name when searching through the Racer section on wera.com. Be sweet if I qualified for the new racer incentives program!

2) Weapon of choice. Although I'm always open to other ideas or suggestions, I feel like I'm pretty zeroed-in on an SV650 for my first year back. I'd like the option of being able to enter into as many classes as possible with the same motorcycle, so would something like a superstock-spec SV make sense? What would those classes be? I'm also over 40, so that would allow me to compete in Senior classes as well as non-Senior, is that correct?

If an SV is a sound choice for my first racebike coming back, what era/gen/year-range would be ideal as far as reliability, ease of maintenance, access to parts, etc while still being somewhat competitive in capable hands?

Thank you very much for your time and feedback. Genuinely hope to be back on track this year!

- Jeff

SpeedyE and mpusch like this.
  2. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

This season I came back to racing after 20 years away. I had one of my old license and was able to use the same ID number. Email WERA and make sure you get the new riders 1st year discount for the membership and riders school so you may just want to not even worry about your old license info. I see a lot of SV out here and I was kicking around getting one myself but foolishly decided to take the same GSXR I raced in the 90's. I think any gen SV is good to go but you may want to look for a FI model rather than dealing with carbs again, I know for me they just added stress when the one carb went south on my first weekend and just had to limp around the track. Yes you can run Senior Superbike and the other classes.

Washed likes this.
  3. Chango

Chango Something clever!

The SV got fuel injection in 2003 and dual-spark heads in 2007. I think generally the 05-06 is considered the "best" of the second generation (03-12 maybe, whenever the gladius came out).

All that said, all of the SVs make fantastic race/track bikes for those who want to learn to be faster.

Washed likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Email me and I'll ask the boss on the discount. [email protected] We do still have files on racers from way back even if you're not in the computer system so not sure what her cutoff is :D

SV is a great choice.

Downside is no SV class in Senior Superbike - but you do have Lightweight Twins Superstock and Superbike as well as Formula 2 and Heavyweight Twins Superbike. Since Senior runs 600s and 1000s together I don't allow the little bikes out at the same time unless it is someone who can win a 600 class on an SV.

SpeedyE and Washed like this.
  5. Washed

Washed Member

Rock on for the feedback y'all. Appreciate it very much. I'll get that email headed your way Mongo. Great to hear if I pick up an SV that's superstock legal I'd be eligible for so many classes. Time to start scouring the classifieds for an eligible candidate. Thanks again for the help!

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How mamy races do you think you will want to run on a double header weekend? In our area I think most weekends are double headers and that would be 3 to 4 races a day even if you go with a superbike SV.

I mention this because when my son ran that class, finding an already built, good, legal SS SV, was more expensive and harder to locate vs. the majority of SBK SV's that were running around.

Look how many are racing the classes from last year's results when deciding what you want. In WERA West when he raced an SV, there weren't any SS SVs coming out, they were all SBK.

Have fun, if the turnouts aren't good in that class and you like the idea of ompeting with a bunch of other racers, look what the turnout is for the class Ninja 400s race in too.

Good Luck

Washed and SpeedyE like this.
  7. Washed

Washed Member

Hey thanks for your input also, Rob. I'll definitely take a good look at your suggestions. You made some points and raised a few questions I suppose I had not really considered and/or yet investigated. Will do, and appreciate your time.

Boman Forklift likes this.