1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to Back races

Discussion in 'General' started by yokohama1, Sep 30, 2020.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I want to do back to back races this weekend at Atlanta. I’ve done it before using the same bike but this one will require a bike change between races. Is this possible without having to start on hot pit? Can I just have the second bike waiting at hot pit, hustle around after the first race, and still have enough time to come around and grid up for the second race?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

sure... maybe even ask someone near pit in if you could borrow space/outlet for the time

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've done it when I was racing an FZR400 and RZ350. I just had the 2nd bike ready as I came in the pit and jumped from one to the other. Wasn't that big of a deal really.

4. yokohama1

Yeah the plan was to have the second bike right there and quickly go from one to the other. I guess that leaves enough time to do the warm up lap and get to my grid position for the start of the second race?

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I had plenty of time. This was at Tally if that makes a difference. Depending on where you pit you might have a longer trip at RA.

6. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Do not forget to swap your transponder over from one bike t'other.

Sabre699, TurboBlew, Shocker and 4 others like this.
  7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

also let any official know that you have b2b races and they may hold on 3rd call to give you time. Race director will make that call

8. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Good advice. The first time I did this I forgot my transponder. The second and every other time, I put a piece of tape on top of both gas tanks saying, you guessed it, “transponder.” Its surprising how forgetful you can be at that time, just in off the track, in a hurry, just before you go out, all at once.

Tj Hunter likes this.
  9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I bet you could find a pit neighbor to help you out with remembering the transponder, and making the swap smooth and quick.

that’s like, the best reason to have a lady-friend at the track. They’re useful-ish sometimes :P

10. yokohama1

Fortunately I have transponders for each bike as I know I wouldn’t remember.

11. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Just talk to race officials after riders meeting...they can give you some slack to allow for the change over. For sure have your bike staged in hot pit ready to go and have someone help you. Should have plenty of time to get a drink of water and a few good breaths before getting back out there.

yokohama1 likes this.
  12. I’ve never raced just one bike. Even as a Provisional Novice I raced an R1 and a ZX6R.

I’ve never had a weekend without at least one back-to-back race, and usually have multiple.

1. Make sure your 2nd bike is ready to go (gas, warmers on, etc).

2. Have your grid positions for each respective bike/race written on a piece of tape and stuck to the gas tank. Don’t think you will remember it, you won’t.

3. If you only have one transponder, then take a piece of tape and put it over the ignition of the bike in the 2nd race, that just says something like “TSPD”.

Personally, I just got a transponder for all 3-4 bikes (even the Grom :D) and registered them all. That way I didn’t have to worry about it. But if you don’t want to do that, put some kind of reminder on the 2nd bike.

4. Tell one (or more) of the officials working the grids that you have B2B races. They’ll help you with time if they can.

5. When the first race is on the white flag lap, have someone take the warmers off the 2nd bike and bring it to hot pit.

Also have them bring a bag/backpack with some water/Gatorade, and a towel to wipe your face, and to clean your visor.

6. Don’t fuck around on the cool down lap. Slow down to a safe speed, but don’t take a 30mph parade lap. Hustle up (while still waving to the Corner Workers) and get into hot pit.

7. Pull up beside the other bike. Put your bike into Neutral before you get off of it (so the person helping you doesn’t have to fuck with that).

8. Swap your transponder (if necessary). Grab a quick drink and wipe your face off, wipe your visor real quick, then jump on your 2nd bike and head over to Pit-out.

Go race.

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

When you say "wipe your visor" what you really mean is "replace your visor"

SpeedyE, Sabre699, BigBird and 4 others like this.
  14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Just to be politically correct, have Livengood change his visor.

rd400racer and Gorilla George like this.
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

You did the second race in the same leathers you wore for the first race?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Basically yes, have the second bike at pit out where the officials are and let Bruner know what's up and we'll slow the calls slightly too.

yokohama1 and BigBird like this.
  18. Not by choice. :D

But I do change leathers at lunch so I can be in a fresh suit.

19. Almost always. :D

I was trying to cater my response to the OP.

brex likes this.
  20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The one thing I immediately noticed after the first time I switched bikes in a B2B, was that the suspension was not warmed up. As Broome mentioned not to F around on the cool down lap, when you go out for the sighting lap, remember everything, except you and the tires, is cold. Try to get as much heat in the bike as safely you can.

Also, by ready to go, make sure the engine is warmed.