1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back protectors

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by The, Jul 3, 2017.

1. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

As with any gear, I know personal preference and fitment are unique to the individual. However, I'm looking for recommendations on back protector models and features you like or dislike.

2. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

If you research supposedly some back protectors are one time use items like a helmet. The honeycomb shell gets flattened and is thus unusable after that. After realizing that it narrowed my options and I got a good deal on Forcefield back and chest protector. The straps can rub on my armpits at times but besides that I love them. So thats my vote.

3. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I've used Knox Contour in 7 or so wrecks, mostly lowsides one of which I slid back first into the curbing which launched me in the air. I did have one big highside that sent me end over end about a dozen times. All on the same back protector. They have moved on from the Contour as the flagship model and make the Meta-sys. I had the contour stolen the first go around and got the metasys, which I liked but got taken in the second theft and I didn't crash test it. Knox also has a chest protector that can be integrated into the setup and I'm convinced it saved my ribs after having the bike hit me during a wreck. I'm pretty set in my ways when I crash test something that much, so I have no desire to try another brand.

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have a Knox vest that they don't make anymore. I had a low side crash at 70 mph or so, but then tumbled when I reached the grass / dirt. Broke a finger, but my back and chest were fine and not even sore. You will need some extra room in your leathers if you go with a vest set up vs. a back protector and thin chest insert or no chest insert. It all depends on if you want coverage for your ribs. I broke my ribs in playing basketball and don't ever want to feel that pain again, so I had my suit modified to fit the vest.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Forcefield chest and back protectors for me. they are comfortable and they seem to work when ive crash-tested them. they are also thinner than some others w/ hard protection, so they fit better in my suit.

i cut the straps off my back protector years ago and have never used them on the chest. nothing moves around under my suit.

6. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

I had one custom made by impact safety armor. It is a back and chest protector that molds to your body and is extremely comfortable. Crashed twice with it on and no injuries. I like that it is not bulky like all the others.

7. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

The Knox meta sys sounds great from reviews. I wish I could find a medium in stock somewhere. Everywhere says discontinued and I don't see what appears to be the comparable replacement model.

8. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Could always buy straight from Knox in Britain, I checked out their website and it shows $208 shipped for a back and chest protector to my house in Texas

Knox.jpg

9. DirtTrackin221

DirtTrackin221 Well-Known Member

Another vote for the impact safety armor. Pulled the trigger on one of these, got a cross over so I can use it for flat track, and motorcross along with road racing. Perfectly forms to my body, the most comfortable protection I've worn completely forget its on at all.

10. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

I didn't want the hassle of ordering overseas so I went with forcefield pro L2K since it was in stock at STG. Pro 4 sub seemed too thick.

11. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

This is a little off topic but... The old leathers I use have the typical pads and cups at the shoulders, elbows and knees. Does anybody make leathers that are more heavily armored?

12. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Running a Revit Tryonic. Feels comfy on the bike.