1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back injury: Recommendations needed

Discussion in 'General' started by glenngsxr, May 26, 2017.

1. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

I got X rays done and my disc between L5 and S1 is pretty slim, causing pretty typical symptoms like lower back pain, numbness, soreness, stiffness, and the inability to bend over at the waist most of the time. It's gradually getting worse and really impacting quality of life now.

That being said, I wanted to get opinions on treatment from people that have been through it and had success. So far I've heard of getting the disc shaved, getting it "reinflated", fused, and getting shots. I've also heard people say to get an inversion table, get spinal decompression treatment on an expensive machine, and more.

Anybody else been through this? What worked? I want permanent results (at least till I'm old). I don't want to mess around with repeated money pit treatments.

Thanks, Glenn

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Avoid surgery/injections if at all possible. We went though similar situation with my wife, PM if you'd like and I'll give you the information I have and suggestions.

Good luck as this kind of injury is tough.

terminus est and VFR#52 like this.
  3. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Stretch daily sounds odd but it helps. And definitely avoid injections. I had the same thing but three of my disc decided they could no longer hold in the jelly, so I got surgery (shaved) and it did help a lot. I went from not being able to stand without a walker to being able to throw full kegs in 6 months. Most of the back pain I have now comes from not stretching.

VFR#52 likes this.
  4. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

stretching, yoga(hate to admit it) and working out saved my back and life. I was at the point that I couldn't walk or bend without taking 6 Vicodin at time. I decided not to continue this route and just did stretching and working out. My back acts up maybe once or twice a year. Other than that I'm doing fine.

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I just listened to a Joe Rogan podcast about back injury and how he avoided surgery. Of course his doc wanted to cut or give shots.

6. Capitalview

Capitalview Well-Known Member

-Lose weight (if you are overweight)
    -Work your core (stomach) muscles
    -Stretch
    -Hydrate

A good set of insoles and some cheap harbor freight floor padding to stand on can help a lot too. My garage floor is covered in that stuff.

I ended up having a double fusion at L4-L5, L5-S1. As others have said, avoid surgery if at all possible.

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

If you didn't have numbness, I would've just tried all the things already mentioned. But they are only temporary fixes. Truth is, these daily annoyances are not going to go away and will only get worse as time goes by. So, you need to consider surgery. It's the only thing that could actually fix the symptoms you've described.

I don't know how many neurosurgeons are near you, but google them and research their success and failure history. Pick the one your most comfortable with and make an appointment.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Reverse hyper

9. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

Next would be get an MRI and see what is actually going on.

10. TZ250lover

TZ250lover Well-Known Member

I herniated a disc in 1980 doing squats and ended up having surgery. That was before MRIs. They used dye injections back then that gave you a massive headache. Also before laparoscopy. So I have a five inch scar. I still irritate my lower back every year or so, and it will bother me for a week or so, but otherwise I have no issues and can do anything I want.

11. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Some of the best advise I ever got at the track was if you are trying to diagnose a problem, the solutions that you cannot reverse save those until last. I have had good luck with an inversion table. It took about 2 weeks, now I have used it just about everyday for 20 years

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Now there is good advice on here.
    I do the inversion chair.
    If you can stretch while on it.
    Also one of those wheel things for build core muscle helps.
    Go slow on everything.
    Takes time and you dont want to hurt it anymore.
    Also Apple cider vinegar and honey will help soreness and helps joints.
    Best of luck.

Steven Isenhower #52

13. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

Good advice here. I am in decent shape, maybe 10 lbs over weight, but cycle and run quite a bit (not so much lately though) so not bad. I've been stretching a ton and my wife and I own a massage therapy business so I get regular massages, but their effectiveness has been shorter and shorter. The numbness and pain have been getting worse and worse. Like I said, bending over to put socks on is almost impossible now. I have to sit down and use one arm to reach down and pull them on. We are friends with a chiro and he has a decompression table, but I have seen lots of mixed reviews with most of them saying it has provided short term relief, but not long term results. I fear surgery is next....

14. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Inversion table helps me as does swimming for some reason.

VFR#52 likes this.
  15. tf1075

tf1075 Well-Known Member

Decompression table is the best thing I ever used.

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Inversion table, as already mentioned.

You're welcome.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Build up your core and keep it in shape. The dusc damage is a symptom of other problems, rectify those problems and the discs will heal. Surgery is just treating these symptoms. Allow your body to heal itself, it does take work on your part, but surgery is irreversible.

VFR#52 likes this.
  18. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Best advice so far.
    My back has been messed up since 87.
    Strengthen core is best advice.
    I was down almost a week cause i bent over puttting my dirt bike motor in.
    Heard a pop and then i couldnt stand up.
    Pain was intense. Buddy gave me inversion deal.
    After that pain was gone and i could walk again with no pain.
    So i use that roller deal for abs.
    Works wonders. Just go slow.
    Best of luck. Sounds like you have tried all the things.
    But look at it this way.
    The muscles in mid section support the back.
    I also do sit ups while hanging upside down while on inversion deal.
    I also stretch and hokd weights to help back relax.
    Wish you best.

Steven Isenhower #52

terminus est likes this.
  19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I can't stress how important building your core strength is going to be for you

decompression table/ hanging upside down

20. loser

loser Well-Known Member

I cannot stress how unimportant building your core strength is going to be for you.

Stretching flexibility yes but as long as you're not excessively obese or extremely out of shape you are fine without excessive core workouts.