1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B17 crash at Bradley

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Oct 2, 2019.

1. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I heard indirectly that the PIC had 6k hours in type and frequently practiced engine out procedures in training etc. I'm curious what they determine was the cause of the accident.

2. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

This was a few years ago in Marathon Key. I logged a hour aerobatics in their P51 Betty Jane the next day. Great group and amazing planes. RIP Nine-O-Nine and crew... IMG_20191022_155021_209.jpg

joec likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

So what’s the significance of the one engine not having been overhauled for 800 hours? Was it significantly past a recommended service limit? It looks like they ruled out the improper gas theory floated about.

5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The only thing that stands out in that article is that both pilots were in their 70's.

I doubt they were over TBO on that engine. That also doesn't explain why they were shutting down the other engine on that side.

It also didn't occur to me that these flights operate under Part 91. That is a low bar for something this complicated and available to the general public.

6. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

TBO=Time between/before overhaul (rebuild)

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. Thanks, I was about to google that :)

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Expound

9. SteveThompson

They are typically 3 sections of FAA regulations that flights can fall under. Part 121 covers the airlines. It is the most restrictive and has resulted in a safety record that is almost miraculous. Part 135 is air charter. It is quite restrictive and has requirements for training, maintenance, certain administrative positions, etc. Part 91 is general aviation. It is the rules that govern most day to day flying in small airplanes. Obviously this is an oversimplification, but it goes to my point on page 1. I am a libertarian at heart and believe people should be able to do what they want. I don't think in this case people are well informed of the risks. I watch people out my window taking rides like this and they, for the most part, think it is being operated similar to any aircraft you can buy a ticket on. That's just not the case.

speedluvn, jksoft, 418 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Think of it like this:

Part 121

Everything gets repaired/replaced well before its design life is even close to an end. Lots of racers would get pissed seeing what gets thrown in the trash.

Part 135

Blink 182 drummer’s experience.

Part 91

I can’t believe this thing still flies ...

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

They have to be 91...sight seeing flights.
    I’d like to see someone get a 135 cert for a B17, tri motor, p51 etc

All the sight seeing, biplane rides, and the like I’ve seen are 91. If they had to keep up with 135 stuff they wouldn’t exist

12. SteveThompson

Which is kinda my point (they won't and can't meet the requirements that passengers assume they are meeting), but I think not technically correct. I think they are saying that you are making a donation to the museum and the ride is a perk. You are not really paying for an airplane ride therefor minimal regulations apply. You are correct that flightseeing flights do not have a high degree of oversight.

I do know that K2 in Alaska does flightseeing flights under 135 in very old airplanes (mostly Beavers).

ducnut likes this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

My only hope is the powers that be don’t somehow legislate these programs away. These are amazing machines being stewarded by amazing people.

I regret not going up when I had the opportunity. I simply couldn’t afford what amounted to 2wks of gross income, at the time.

14. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

pardon my ignorance but do warbird ride planes say EXPERIMENTAL quite large on the side? They are EAA planes, right? Or am I wrong?

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I lived across the street from that airport for three years, on 90th street. Went up in an old C47 once they kept there.

16. SteveThompson

EAA is to aviation what the AMA is to motorcycles. They don't have much bearing in this conversation.

Airplanes can have an experimental registration/airworthiness certificate for various reasons. I have recently been flying an experimental Carbon Cub for example. You can get a standard airworthiness certificate for a warbird.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/airworthiness_certification/sp_awcert/experiment/

17. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Thank you for the clarification. I assumed they were all experimental since so many fly at AirVenture and Sun n Fun.

18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

how’s the carbon cub? They had one at the AOPA Tullahoma fly in that looked awesome. A carbon cub or a husky would be a dream plane for me.

19. SteveThompson

It has been fun. I only have 7-8 hours in it and I am not a very experienced tailwheel pilot. I just try to fly it when it's not windy. I've never used full power yet. It weighs less than 1000 pounds and has 180 horsepower.

wera313 and ChemGuy like this.
  20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dang
    That must get airborne quick

It’s about like the RV7A I just bought into. 200hp IO with 3 blade MT prop. That thing goes...
    Needs more right rudder than my Dakota did.