1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B17 crash at Bradley

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Oct 2, 2019.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Sounds like maybe an landing issue or runway overrun from initial reports. Hope everyone is OK and the plane is repairable.

And yeah that looks like its probably the Collings Foundation's B17. They give rides on it.

3. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Large plum of black smoke is not a good sign. Hopefully all on-board are OK. And it'd be great if it wasn't a total loss of a great old airplane.

turbulence likes this.
  4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Last I checked there were 13 B17's flying. Lossing any is an amazing loss to the world.

stk0308 and ducnut like this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Well, that sucks. I really like the mission these folks promote and provide. It’s always a great honor to be around and talk to the old guys who served in that period of time.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was going to ask how many were left.

7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Dang

I know we've discussed it on here before, but I HATE it that they give rides in airplanes like this. Most people don't fully understand what they are signing up for.

8. bored&stroked

An amazing experience in a highly cared for and maintained airplane with multiple backup engines and decades of safe operation?

Chris, Jon Wilkens, stk0308 and 3 others like this.
  9. bored&stroked

I mean at least thats how we operated sentimental journey when I worked at the CAF.

stk0308 likes this.
  10. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I'm in the industry as well. I don't want to argue or speak for anyone else. I just personally don't like it.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Not good.
    Photos show whats left into some fuel storage tanks. They appear to be pretty far off runway..so it could be a mechanical or loss of control if ti was TO/Landing issue.

One news outlet reporting 3 crew 10 pax 1 on ground injured. Possibly a couple deaths, the rest in the hospital. RIP

And to Steve's point I thought about how old the plane was last time I got on a Ford Tri Motor for a ride. Just remember it can go south at anytime in planes, boats, cars, bikes, etc....

Gino230 and ducnut like this.
  12. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Video I saw, showed that only the tail section, and the LH wing remained. Looks like the rest of the plane burned up completely. Not good.

13. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Pilot apparently reported inflight problem after approx. 5 minutes in the air, he was attempting to return to BDL.

5 souls confirmed lost...Ugh.

RIP

I'd still jump at the chance to fly in an old warbird.
    Life is short, and filled with risk on any given day.

K51000 and ducnut like this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Every time I see one of these stories I'm reminded of the guts those kids in WWII had when 10's of thousands of these were flying.

ducnut likes this.
  15. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

No kidding.
    I know an old guy who was a B-17 BN in the PTO '43-'44. He'd lied about his age, he was 17 when he joined up.
    He was very reluctant to discuss his time in the USAAF. Reading between the lines of what he's shared, he saw some pretty horrific stuff.

He said after all that, nothing scared him any more.

ducnut likes this.
  16. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

real heros from google

The average age of a bomber crew member was just 22 years of age. Prior to 1944, each crew had to complete 25 combat missions to be eligible to come home. Nevertheless, statistics at the time showed that each crew member had a average of a 1 in 4 chance of making it or about 12 to 14 missions.

Chino52405 and ducnut like this.
  17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Welp, gonna use this opportunity to give props to my dad. Just one of many like him from that era.

82nd Airborne, Company C, 504th. Joined October, 1943; 28 years service. 2X Purple Heart, Bronze Star w/ Oak Leaf Cluster (Vietnam). WWII, Korea, Vietnam 2X. Passed away at 80 in 2005.

clb1.jpg

Book about 82nd (he's quoted in it):

91nc1Xr-SYL.jpg

pjzocc, Gixxerguy855, Chris and 16 others like this.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Was talking to one of the old guys who served as a tail gunner. He said the unfortunate thing about being short was they were automatically assigned to that position. I can’t imagine being on one’s back, feet up above, subject to whatever temps in that globe, for all the hours they’d turn a mission. Plus, they had a full view of the enemy trying to shoot them down. Tougher men than I.

19. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

My absolute favorite airplane, these b17s are amazing machines. If you have seen some of the planes that returned from missions that seemed impossible for it to make it back with such damage. They were the toughest plane in the sky. I have a pretty cool RC B17 it’s pretty awesome. RIP to the ones that did not make it.

MikeR and ducnut like this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think that would have been the ball turret gunner. The tail gunners accommodations were palatial by comparison. Dad was a tail gunner in a B-29.

upload_2019-10-2_18-24-45.png

Attached Files: