1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

automotive interior guru help please

Discussion in 'General' started by Jon Wilkens, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I have a 93 GMC Sonoma. I am rebuilding my door panels and reupholstering the door cards. There are studs that are used to attach them to the panel. My upper cards are no problem, it's the lower ones I have built need these studs. They are flat metal "t's" with a stud and install flush. This allows you to cover them with fabric with no fastener showing and have a way to attach to door panel.

What the hell do you call those fasteners? I evidently have no clue as i cannot find them on the internet. Hopefully someone will know the correct terminology or have a link. I'm going nuts...been looking for several days now.

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Are your door cards plastic or cardboard?

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  3. Jon Wilkens

The ones I made? They are wood. My door panels didn't have lower door cards on them...so I built them. They are also part of the sound system to allow speaker install.

4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Ahh So . . .

Can you post a picture of this piece?

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  5. Jon Wilkens

IF...I could FIND a picture of said piece...I could find out what it's called. lol Sorry, don't have a picture of one.

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I thought you had some that you needed to replace.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. Jon Wilkens

It's a flat piece of metal...with a stud on it. Kinda like an elevator bolt, but the head is thinner and rectangular in shape instead of round.

8. Jon Wilkens

If I had old door cards, I could strip them off and reuse them. Hence the reason I need to find some.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

Something like this?

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I think I know what he's looking for.

It's a threaded stud swaged to a square piece of thin sheet steel, maybe 1" square.

I'll call my local fastener shop tomorrow and find out what it's called.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So you use a nut on the inside of the door to secure them? They aren't a push clip?

12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Or use nice trim screws.

14. Jon Wilkens

That is like an elevator bolt with a square head. The head is thin sheet metal with a stud...maybe 3/16". I think 1/4-20 might be close though.

15. Jon Wilkens

Maybe an inch long...but not square. Thanks

16. Jon Wilkens

Correct. The door cards use "nut" of sorts...they are thin pressed out with a spring clip type thread. If they were just pressed on or clipped...they would work loose over time.

17. Jon Wilkens

I don't want to see them, nor want to have to screw into the metal door panel. Using screws would only grab onto the plastic door panel which is not going to be strong enough and easily pull out.

18. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

19. Jon Wilkens

20. Jon Wilkens

Nope. Nothing like those at all.

Plastic door panel covers entire door...the door cards are attached to the plastic panel. Can't just screw into the plastic as it's not strong enough and pull out. They will need to be studs/nuts or maybe I can use a tee-nut and correct length screw. Just have to see what I can get.

busa99 likes this.