1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto parts stores excluding batteries from discount codes

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Title says it all. I buy most of my stuff from Advance, because they almost always have at least 20% off.

Looks like batteries are no longer included. And good lord they’ve gotten expensive.

Where is the best place to buy these days?

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Stick with a chain store, so should you have a future issue, you can just pull in and get it squared away. I buy my tires from Discount Tire, for that same reason.

tony 340 likes this.
  3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I believe lead prices have gone through the roof. Along with copper, and really any metal

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Costco

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Also if you have a newer vehicle with lots of electronics and potentially with Auto Stop/Start the battery requirements are a lot more demanding so the batteries have to be a lot more robust and therefor expensive. I just replaced the one in my wife's TLX V6 AWD. Ouch.
    I usually buy from Advanced and their cheaper batteries were on sale, but not this one so I got it for a bit less at AutoZone. Shop around.

6. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I have always had good luck at Walmart for car batteries. They do such volume that batteries are the newest manufacture dates out of anywhere I’ve seen especially auto parts stores. Plus they are low in price.

beechkingd likes this.
  7. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Advance, just give them my phone number...

TurboBlew and G Dawg like this.
  8. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

9. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Went through the same thing a couple months ago. Ended up buying the battery at batteries plus & bulbs . If you buy it on line and pick up in store you get 10% off. I also needed a battery memory saver.The cheapest I found the ez-red was at
    National tool warehouse about $58.00 shipped.

10. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Interstate Battery carries used batteries. Comes with a 6 month warranty for $45 with core, $60 without.

11. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

If there's a Rural King in your area, their Exide/Rural King batteries are normally around $80 - $90, many times on sale for $60 - $70. I and my kids have been using them for years with good luck, replace them at 5 years just in case.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Batteries & bulbs is another suggestion.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

They are cheap because they are garbage. My experience.

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Not gonna say they are quality..but if you can get 5 years out of one...so be it. Just set a reminder in your smatphone for 5 years from now to replace like an oil change on
    a regular interval. MAYBE six years if you wanna gamble a little.

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yep, welcome to the world of AGM batteries. Just put an Interstate in the wife’s Sorento, $230.

16. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

Agm batteries in a lot stuff now. if you have menards they normally have competitive prices on Ac delco batteries.

17. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

I used to recommend Advance Auto batteries to family and friends when I'd help them out with their car issues. That was before the switch from their Autocraft label to the overpriced Die Hard label. The old Autocraft silver and gold were good options for specs, warranty and price with the promo code discount.

Walmart EverStart Maxx is comparable and like half the price of the Advance Die Hard, same 3 year free replacement warranty and a lot of Walmarts around open late if you have an issue. Both the EverStart Maxx and old Autocraft were made by Johnson Controls and the Die Hard cases look the same so wouldn't be surprised in they are also made by JC. Advance Auto paid 200 million for the Die Hard name so probably a factor in the Die Hard pricing.

I use AGM in all four wheeled vehicles now and Bosch Platinum AGM (made by Exide, same as Exide Edge AGM) from Pep Boys with promo code was a good deal a few years ago though not sure they even still sell them there.

I run all my batteries though a smart charger rotation and voltage check. I remove the surface charge by turning the headlights on for a few minutes until the voltage stabilizes which gives a good idea of where the battery is at and occasional check while starting to see how much voltage drops.

18. Elsinore

Elsinore Well-Known Member

On a similar note: My wife's Acura TL would sometimes have a weird deal where the battery would be fine most days, then just completely dead at random intervals.
    The first battery, Acura replaced for free. After the second battery and them quoting new alternator, battery, blah, blah, blah....I found a vid on Youtube that showed how they have a faulty Navi/Voice circuit board that will drain the battery very quickly. In other words, you could run a drain test and 99% of the time and things would look fine because the relay wasn't stuck.
    Luckily, we don't use voice navi and I just removed the circuit board. It's been like 4+ years of terrific battery and no more surprise trips to the auto store.

19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

That only applies to batteries needing that. The battery for my 78 C10? Also absurdly expensive and I'm not talking AGM or weird or giant sized battery here.

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I worked in the battery industry for a couple of years as a supplier. There are only 3 major suppliers in the US and they are really all made the same way with a few internal differences. And FYI, Excide declared bankruptcy again last year.

doppio likes this.