1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Austin, Texas USA | MotoGP | 2017 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General' started by caferace, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Hayden might have been gifted a title, however, one of the perks is that he didnt have to listen to a loud generators when sleeping.

:D

MELK-MAN and terminus est like this.
  2. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Just got off the road from Austin. 2250 miles round trip two up on the Multistrada Enduro. Thoughts & observations:

1. Mrs. Rutherford is a GREAT wife. She suggested buying the Multistrada Enduro & she said she wanted to go to Austin this year. I don't know about you guys, but that is a GREAT wife. :bow:

2. Austin is a good, and hopefully, evolving, MotoGP event. I've been to Indy (3x), Mugello, Assen, Silverstone & Sachsenring. Great track layout, decent facilities, easy, good access, a good host town, . . . it has all the ingredients to become one of the great events.

3. I had T15 seats based upon recommendations from ADVRider folks. Best seats in the house, IMHO. GA would be ok - certainly a lot better than Sachsenring, where, if you don't have a seat, you don't see shit. Plenty of jumbo-tron screens which is most excellent. Food & drink are good; bathroms are few and far between, but they did have porta-potties a-plenty. Weather Saturday was cold and windy, so the babes were not showing much. Tall blondes are Texas's speciality. Sunday was excellent weather albeit a bit breezy. they cannot complain about the weather.

4. Attendance: last year was a reported 131,000+ with 56,000+ on Sunday. I don't know about the whole weekend, but Sunday should have been better than 56,000. The place emptied after the MotoGP race, and you could sit anywhere for the MotoAmerica Superbike race. Tracak access and egress was not an issue (unlike Mugello which is awful).

5. Austin is a good host city. yes, traffic sucks on I-35, but don't get on I-35. Good food, good music, good vibe, lots going on . . . what more could one want?

6. I-10 from Baton Rouge to Columbus, TX sucks. Avoid it at all costs. Coming back it was all backroads and small towns thru TX, LA, and MS. It was great. Good folks and good food and good roads.

7. The Multistrada 1200S Enduro rocks. Want to pass someone? Two up, with fully loaded bags . . . no problem. It will do 125 + all day long . . . but I cannot afford such. 85 - 90 indicated is a very comfortable and safe range. I'm still figuring out all the electronics, but it is a tip o' the hat to Ducati on that machine.

8. Are we still arguing about 1993? Really? I moved on . . . a couple o' decades ago.

9. Rossi's penalty: legitimate, done appropriately by Dorna . . . still CHICKENSHIT IMHO.

Cheers,

Dave

stk0308, MELK-MAN, samizx7 and 8 others like this.
  4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

What does outrageously strict mean? If you didn't buy a ticket for a seat you weren't allowed to occupy it? I love when I will buy tickets for baseball games and some non-seat payers will make their way down and find the empty seat next you they didn't pay for.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

@83BSA we towed the ducs (no tourers) in the camper and I thought I-10 in lousy-Anna would rattle every bolt loose.

Kudos on doing the trip 2-up!

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Anybody complained?

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

No we just sat their ringing our hands wishing bad things on them.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if youve gone to baseball games... you know all about the seat shuffle...lol. Start in the nosebleeds and work your way down to first or 3rd base line or visit your friend with the premo season tickets.
    Actually we had a couple of friends that always buy tickets in the Turn 15 stands. But stopping by for a hello and a cold beer was not allowed this year at any time.

9. Perhaps your definition of "well ahead in points" and mine are completely different. Hayden had a 12-point lead going into Estoril in 2006. To me, that's not "well ahead." "Well ahead" to me means that one bad weekend won't take you out of contention. That was certainly not the case for Hayden. Rossi's second place to Elias kept Hayden in the fight , and the championship went down to the wire in Valencia, because Hayden was not even remotely well ahead.

Nevertheless, Rossi's loss to Elias in Portugal, and his unforced error in Valencia, meant that Hayden prevailed due to consistently solid results throughout the season. Hayden did everything right, and everyone else did everything wrong. That's how championships are won - nothing "gifted" about it. Those are the facts.

I don't believe there is even such a thing as a "gifted" championship, with how deep the 500GP/MotoGP field has been for the last 30+ years. It's truly sad that Hayden was never able to repeat his success, despite having the tools to do so. But that has everything to do with the depth of talent that is consistently brought into MotoGP.

As I've said here before, I believe Hayden truly earned his MotoGP Legend status by winning the championship in 2006. It was unlikely, it was luck, it was racecraft, and it was superior attitude. He's a real Legend, unlike some of the others on the Legend list.

pscook and G 97 like this.
  10. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I think its a COTA thing. At F1 last year they wouldnt let people in the stands AFTER racing was over to watch Taylor Swift. Mind you, it was set up with the stage, an entire infield of grass, and then the stands on the far side, so its not like you were getting premium seats.

11. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

If Rossi wins the championship this year by only winning two races do you think he is going to get the same amount of bullshit that was thrown at Hayden?

If that does happen it will be just as entertaining watching the Uccios back peddle just like they did with Rossi's tenure at Ducati :D

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Really glad you enjoyed your trip!

Mind if I copy/paste your story editing out the cuss words for the d&d page
    Regardless, glad you had a great time!

Phl218 likes this.
  13. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Robby-Bobby -

You bet. You can edit out whatever you like, but I'll remind you that profanity is an essential part of the English language. The secret is simply using it properly. :Poke:

And, for those that do not know or may be curious, the 2017 Ducati Multistrada 1200S which just completed the Talking Rock to Austin, two-up, with fully loaded bags trip was purchased from D&D Cycles in Pensacola, Florida. They provide outstanding customer service and accommodation. Looking to buy a Ducati or Triumph . . . check with D&D first - they're worth traveling for. :clap:

Cheers,

Dave

stk0308 and Phl218 like this.

14. If Rossi, as old as he is, wins the championship with no race wins and a 2-point gap against the current field, it will be proof that he truly is the greatest. Back-peddle that :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. 600 dbl are

I can respond but it will require me to summon Uccio logic. I can do it, but it's painful to bring myself to that level of stupid thinking :p

16. I understand. I wouldn't want you to experience the pain of rising above your normal level.

17. 600 dbl are

Well played sir. Well played. :beer:

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

By the way, east Texas has a few bugs . . . .

[​IMG]

That is Austin to Jasper, Tx Monday. We tried to get 'em all, but I think we left some . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

scottn, Phl218, Robby-Bobby and 2 others like this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Y'all's favorite analyst. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    2blueYam and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looks like love bug season. Hit a car wash, they etch the paint. And plug up radiators. A damp bounce dryer sheet helps get them off, pam helps keep them from sticking.

83BSA likes this.