1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi R8 - Attainable Supercar?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Every single minute that you're driving the car.

Chris, BigBird, cpettit and 1 other person like this.
  2. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Every time I'm entering or exiting a highway.

3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Yes, auto's are faster in these days of 6+ gears to row through. Yes, the hugely vast majority of people who can afford a supercar do not want or cannot use a clutch pedal anymore. And cars like the porsche turbo or jaguar F type with manual transmissions have dead, no feedback hydraulic clutch pedals in them that don't communicate anything at all as to whats going on. Don't care. Still want.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can have just as much fun driving if my left foot and right arm are moving objects or not. The act doesn't require more or less movement to be enjoyable for me. It's the road and just driving at all. Hell I have fun driving the RV even when I'm going slow as hell trying to accelerate. The alternative of not driving is what sucks.

BigBird and CR750 like this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Modern autos are the best of both worlds. Most have good rev holding features and flappy paddles so when you want them to, you can drive them like an F1 driver, but when you're chilling on your way home from Krusty Burger, you can put it in automatic and cruise while you finish your shake.

6. You keep telling yourself that.

7. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

This is exactly what I thought when I bought a Audi S4 with a DCT, and it is a great transmission overall. But I quickly realized that for me personally I need a third pedal in any sort of performance car.

Chris and I'm with Stupid like this.
  8. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Nope, you still don't have full control over the revs like you do with a proper manual.

9. Indeed. These days, the transmission is an integral control point for fleet fuel economy. An auto transmission is programmed to hold back performance in most cars.

10. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

My car has 4 engine maps and the performance map is definitely more aggressive with rpms than I expected. Only use for flappy paddles on track would be to control the timing of weight transfer from engine braking.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

After putting 1500 miles on the rental slushbox, I can't fucking wait for the asshole insurance company to get their dicks out of their asses and settle my claim so I can go back to driving the purple pachyderm and it's slow as fuck shifting clutch pedal required manual transmission ass.

scottn, Phl218 and I'm with Stupid like this.
  12. Yep. My wife‘s flappy-paddle BMshitmobile with the „Sport“ option had similar. How often do you actually switch into Aggressive mode?

Not that often? Yeah, same here :D

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

3 letters that should make you run from any BMW....S....M...G. What a shit box transmission that was.

14. It was a failed experiment. Now you get 8-speed slushboxes with „Sport“ mode to feel like the fastest guy in the traffic jam, or DCT with 11 maps, nine of which are focused on fuel economy. BTW, the latest M cars are slushbox-only. No DCT, no manual.

15. bored&stroked

HA. I love this, hear it all the time. Try this next time you get a flappy paddle car that isn't a Ferrari or Bentley. Take a corner that requires at least a couple full revolutions of the steering wheel. Don't look down, cause your taking a corner fast and all that jazz. Now find that upshift paddle, as its rotated with the steering wheel to who knows where. Flappy paddles mounted to steering wheels are a joke, a REALLY BAD COPY of actual usable paddles that are mounted to the column and don't change position. If your whatever you drive had only a 1/2 turn of the wheel from lock to lock like an F1 driver then this would be a mute point. But nobody has that.

BMW and Porsche got it right. They have paddles that are push/pull. Both sides do the same thing, so regardless of where the wheel is if you push foward your going down in gear and vice versa. Now thats thinking.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Yes. The sound...

Prospect likes this.
  17. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

What performance car are you driving that has 4 turns lock to lock? Plus putting the paddles on the wheel means you have an excuse for having a steering wheel with the line at the top. :D

18. I dog Porsches for fun. Always a laugh when they realize they can’t lose me. I would put the sound of my V8 at 8000rpm up against a Porsche 6 cylinder any day.

19. bored&stroked

The GT is a V10. Imagine F1 1ft behind your ear.

Prospect and mpusch like this.
  20. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

The Carrera GT they're talking about had a V10 originally designed for F1 duty.

mpusch likes this.