1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi R8 - Attainable Supercar?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

thinking would be... having a carbon ring that goes around the entire circumference, or most, of the wheel instead of a paddle. like a WRC car had 20 years ago already.

also, you should already be in right gear during the braking zone before you're turning... mr. racer guy on a racer forum :D. stop mid-turn correcting your incorrect gear choice for engine RPMs hahaha. that's a unique problem to taking some Cars & Coffee sunday morning drive up to Angel's Crest shit where you're going thru a 180*, 20mph hairpin, at 35mph shit. its not that common to have happen anywhere else.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Not sure if you've driven the new F80 M3/M4, but it's totally different than driving a F30 335i. A F80 M3/m4 can easily make 450 to the wheels with just a basic tune.

Then next gen G chassis M340i is supposed to basically be M car lite, while supposedly the M3/4 will have close to 500 hp

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

wait, what, are you trying to prevent unsettling the vehicle mid-corner? where's the fun in that?

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's great but BMW used to "require" an M car to have a manual transmission or it could not be deemed an M car. That's what I meant by they are now a marketing exercise and no longer has the meaning it once did.

418 likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The '99 M3 my Audi guy has says it's been at leas 20 years since they wouldn't put a slushbox in an M car

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

well #Ferrari #F1 #Lambo :Poke:
    #manualsaredeadDinosaurs :D

7. Sweatypants

i mean... far be it from me to prevent somebody from understeering into a ditch or bogging out and killing their exit momentum.

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

We are talking about street cars. Plus what happens if its a decreasing radius turn that requires a downshift midcorner? It can happen!

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I think I would be more concerned about grabbing an up shift coming out of a hairpin.

10. Sweatypants

You should know where you're driving first if you're driving hard enough for that to matter . Would you do it in a bike race?

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

$70K

12. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I went on a little car show cruise last week and an asian fellow bought a brand new R8. Said he heard a fuel line go "pop" and then this happened. Funny I was thinking of this thread while I watched it burn. The car was white in color.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So you're saying this one is affordable and available? :D

Inst Tech likes this.
  14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

upload_2019-4-28_14-3-23.jpeg

ChemGuy and masshole like this.
  15. Venom51

Get off my lawn punk. :D

BigBird likes this.
  16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

T14, Barber, absolutely.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Guess Lambo are passing down their "features" to Audi...keeping it all in the family.

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'm reading some of the replies/frowns on automatics in the performance categories.... M series, etc...

So I gotta ask, what do y'all think factories should classify as their most important objective.....'feelz' or actual PERFORMANCE?

To the older crowd, dudes, we're getting old, it sucks.....I agree but we're now seeing things we never thought was a proper performance vehicle absolutely killing it. I just got done watching a utube video of the old Joey Tribiani doing a review of the Hellcat Demon and it was a riot! 8sp auto up against a Lambo Aventador on a 1/4 mile strip and the results were just glorious!!! LOL! If I ever hit that big ole lotto, that'd be one car I'd have to own, that car has to be one of the best sounding cars. I thought the cross-plane Stangs were great but I think all of these Hellcat and higher variants is absolutely awesome. A true GT car!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  19. Venom51

If I was chasing outright lap times around the track I want the PDK all day long. Bombing around where I live and the mountains just north of me...I want the wiggly stick.

Selling cars based on their out and out performance to a nation of people running the Stop Light Gran Prix is pointless. The reality is how fast does a car really need to be? We currently all buy cars with way more performance than can actually be useful in day to day driving.

BigBird, SuddenBraking and cha0s#242 like this.
  20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

100%.....I'd also add motorcycles to that statement.....blasephemy!!! :eek::eek::eek: LOL!

Doesn't change the fact that it appears as if manufacturers are chasing the 'performance side' of marketing.