1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attack Triple Install Instructions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MurfSVR, Feb 25, 2018.

1. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

What I thought would be very straight forward - isn’t. I bought these Attack triples used for my 2008 r6 so maybe a part is missing.

There’s only room for one of the two stem nuts. I don’t get it. Looking at the stem itself there’s only enough threads for one stem nut. Obviously OEM has two plus a rubber washer and fingered washer for a reason. I tried just rolling with it but when I added the top Triple the nut in question moved.

I searched 4 hours for a PDF of install instructions or a walkthrough or any comments about this and found zip. I emailed Attack and another distributor but if someone can shed light on this I would be so grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Superbikey bits be superbikey.

Talk to Rich @ Attack.

And, if I might ask, what problem were you trying to solve on the R6 with Attack triples?

MurfSVR likes this.
  3. MurfSVR

My oem triples were bent - and got a nice deal on these. I was going to run the zero insert to replicate stock at first anyway- this is my first time on r6 after racing SV650 for years.

keeena likes this.
  4. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

On my 17 GSXR 1000 you only use one of the stem nuts and there is a spacer that sits on top of the single stem nut.

Attached Files:

MurfSVR likes this.
  5. MurfSVR

Brilliant - I think that spacer is what’s missing from this equation. Thank you!

6. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

IIRC there’s no spacer on the R6, just one nut and then the top clamp. Also, zero isn’t stock, it’s 30. I dont recall what stock is on the R6...

Edit: Just checked and stock is 30mm, so zeros will do just that.

MurfSVR likes this.
  7. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I have the Attacks on my Triumph 675 as well and ran into the same 'issue'. I was told to only use 1 nut - no spacer or anything else. Steering bearing nut > triple clamp > top yolk nut.

MurfSVR likes this.
  8. MurfSVR

So when torquing down the top clamp stem nut, I’m assuming you have to put the forks in (leaving the top fork clamp loose) to prevent the bearing nut from turning.

9. nlzmo400r

I used a homemade tool to try to keep the bearing nut from spinning when installing the top nut. Even still, it was very difficult. I ended up leaving the bearing nut a little looser than factory spec allowing it to tighten a bit passively when tightening the top nut.

10. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

OT: What master cylinder is that?

11. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

It’s a Galespeed. They’re the bees knees.

12. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

13. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Also just picked up Galespeed rear master cylinder with integrated reservoir.

Attached Files:

14. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

How is the bearing nut spinning when installing the top nut? You are supposed to torque all other bolts first including fork and offset clamp bolts.
    Check out the picture I posted of the instructions.

Wheeliest likes this.
  15. nlzmo400r

I must be recalling it incorrectly then. I could swear I remember having trouble with the bearing nut being only a single unit instead of two and having to call Attack to ease my mind. Maybe it was the torque setting - IIRC the stock two nut setup requires you to torque the bottom one then the top one and add a certain torque via angle measurement. I honestly can't recall now, it was a while back.

But you're correct in that the bearing nut shouldn't move once it's being clamped by the upper clamp and torque applied from the upper yolk nut.

16. MurfSVR

While the bearing nut has a torque value I’d hardly call 10Nm being torqued. Unless you have a fork in the top and bottom triple, when torquing the top triple nut down it turns the top triple itself. The bearing nut just below is also turned which is very easy to over tighten.

Gcally you may have felt our frustration if that spacer wasn’t there to act as a washer, idk.

I contacted Attack performance and they sent me the same installation instructions as you posted. Josef told me that there is no spacer or second bearing nut.

17. MurfSVR

These are the same as Gcally posted
    [​IMG]

18. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

If you read the instructions carefully you will see the top nut is the last thing you tighten. That means forks are slid in clamps and all clamp bolts torqued along with the offset insert clamp torqued. If those are all done there is no way for triple clamp or bearing nut to move when tightening the top nut.

19. MurfSVR

But if you do it that way the top triple is effectively floating above the bearing nut and could back out slightly. I agree that you’re right - I’ll just follow the instructions.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  20. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I snug up the top nut a hair past hand tight before I tighten everything else. I have never had issues doing it that way.