1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T Presents "You make the call".

Discussion in 'General' started by Knotcher, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Inside rider is at fault for the racing incident, but outside rider doesn't get to skip the ER and finish the race because they were "right". But if a rider passing me suddenly stood up like that as I tip in, "what could I have done differently" wouldn't be my first thought at all.

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

This is a fact. I'm not sure that off the throttle is fighting for position though. When I am passed on the inside I try to maintain my line if I think it is possible in case there are riders outside of me, too.

Pixelator likes this.
  3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I don't disagree with that however, you can't go inside, outside when you just passed someone on the inside. Well, you can, but then this happens.

From the map and the video, it does appear that the fast line through there is exactly how you described.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I can't imagine the outside rider not seeing the inside ride. In those situations, I change my line to try and stay outside or simply concede the position. However, outside rider kept the same line he was on for some reason. But I'm not fast by any means, maybe fast guys don't concede positions. That could explain why they're fast. That being said, the inside rider seemed on a shitty line and way too tight on a fast corner. So both parties at fault aka racing incident.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Once you're clear of the other rider I'd have no issue with going back outside - and the 924 rider was clear at one point.

6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

To me it looks like the outside rider was doing that. While not completely to the outside edge of the track, he was still well off line. I do not think he was expecting the inside rider to drift that much outside.

It is also possible that the outside rider thought the inside rider was going to run wide and started the turn inside? Instead of running wide inside rider tried to correct on the brakes?

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

:stupid:

I don't remotely think that Rider Ahead's actions in this video were intentional, I think it was an overcommit/screw-up, but if I'm fighting hard for position with someone I have no qualms about intentionally running wide when I know they're on my outside. I've never done it on corner entry, and I usually move outwards more slowly than happened in this video, but it's a very common tactic to make an opposing rider choose between slowing down and motocrossing.

Pixelator and joec like this.
  8. Knotcher

There isn't a ton of room to the outside of the outside rider. A fast expert would probably be cool riding that line way out there but it would be ballsy. This is a clubman race so I wouldn't race with those expectations. I went out in it for some practice time and didn't ride like I do in the real races for this very reason.

9. Knotcher

Would you do it to a novice that your are much faster than or would you wait?

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

So you are Rossi and they are Marquez at Sepang? :D

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I wouldn't be battling with them, so I'd wait. And like I said, I don't imagine for a second that this incident was intentional on either party - it looks to me like Rider Ahead cooked in too hot and blew their turn in, and Rider Behind didn't react fast enough.

The way I look at it is this: Had Rider Ahead lowsided after their clean pass, would it still be anyone but Rider Behind's full responsibility to avoid the sliding motorcycle (that, from the looks of the video, would be traveling on the same trajectory)?

The crux of the matter for me is the moment that "Inside Rider" became "Rider Ahead": That pass was clean. The second "pass" in the video wasn't.

joec likes this.
  12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Converging lines. Don't want passed on the inside? Don't leave the door open.

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Rossi's willing to fight a fair bit dirtier than I could ever aspire to.. I don't think I've ever made contact.

14. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

OK, I saw the course map, and watched it a 3rd time on full screen.

Just as I saw it the first time.

The inside rider braked later - which got them to make the pass on the inside.
    It doesn't appear to be a double apex corner, looked as though the riders ahead didn't take it that way either.
    Then- the inside rider got on the brakes more, and/or later and runs wide- and actually runs into the outside rider who has committed to the corner.
    The outside rider looks as though they have a committed line thru the corner- AND had already began the 'turn in'

So the inside 'person' can go in too hot, dive underneath, and then take out any and all riders that are on a good line themselves?By not committing to the turn, running wide from that line they just dove into - and it's OK? >......., uh, OK.

My 'call' on this? Rider error by the inside rider for coming in too hot and not 'holding their line'

You just talked me out of EVER really wanting to even do a track day after watching and reading the comments.
    Although while I'm in excellent condition- I'm too old anyways.

I'll stick to riding my Liter Bike, Geared up on my country roads, surface often unpredictable, usually never passing my fellow riders, especially in a turn, and trying to stay in my lane- the possible oncoming car thing?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Pixelator and younglion like this.
  15. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

Im not familiar with that track/turn enough to call BS but it sure seems like the blue zip tie special rider is headed off track regardless. anyone familiar with it think they could have made that turn had that 'line' continued without interruptions?

yeah, camera rider was set up to cris cross back on the inside if ziptie flyer was in any sort of control.

badmoon692008 and K51000 like this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Let's focus. Is this chick hot?

SuddenBraking, scottn, TLR67 and 4 others like this.
  17. Knotcher

I do not think it was a viable or predictable line.

18. MicahSa15

MicahSa15 Well-Known Member

Finally the right questions are being asked

19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Yeah, she is. Took you guys long enough.

Pixelator likes this.
  20. busa99

busa99 Well-Known Member

It’s ironic we are all looking at the same video with different perspective. I guess this is why we race.
    I do not know the track or corner so I cannot be 100 percent and my opinion is just that, an opinion but it looks clear to me that inside rider is at fault. Just a racing incident? Yes. But who is at fault? Inside rider all the way. If you dive in there, no problem, but hold your line. You just passed outside rider so you know they are there. Even if you park it, block pass. No problem, but hold your line. Can’t go back out. We should be able to go in side by side rubbing elbows. Hold your line.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018