1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASMA Bans Icon Helmets

Discussion in 'General' started by condon66, Nov 13, 2018.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Has anybody here heard any related conversations or had their own personal experience themselves or through a friend? How is the manufacturer meeting the ECE or Snell certifications but then this? Coincidence? Or is there something to it? Should we tell friends and family to hang Icon and KBC on the wall to not be worn again?

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/asma-bans-icon-helmets-citing-safety-concerns/

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Seems odd. I’ve never worn or even handled one, but didn’t they score surprisingly well a while back in some kind of third party test?

“We are also discouraging anyone considering track days, riding on the street, or playing in a sandbox from wearing these helmets.”

Seems pretty snarky and unprofessional. If there’s actual data or they have examples of helmets that failed, it’s one thing. Saying “it seems like every time someone crashes in one they end up with a concussion” reeks of hyperbole and ignores many confounding factors involved in a motorcycle crash.

I’ve worn Arai and Shoei for most of my laps and all of my crashes, and it’s not like I’ve never had a concussion...

SpeedyE, sheepofblue and rcarson15 like this.
  3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yep seems they pulled out a dart board with helmet manufacturer names, put on a blind fold and threw a dart. Sorry Icon you are out. :rolleyes:

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of ICON stuff....but.....Why not ban Alpinstars leathers for the same reason? After all, many crashes occur to riders wearing these leathers. Could the relationship be something else? Like, for say, new guys show up with ever they have from street riding and they tend to have the most crashes....... I say burn them on a stake! o_O

JBraun likes this.
  5. condon66

condon66 Member well known

That's what causes me to raise an eyebrow. The fact that there's nothing more than a few people who feel it "seems" that there's an issue. Just seems an odd way to go about it.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

"Seems" is a code word to keep from getting sued. If they said "Brand X is unsafe and banned" they are gonna get sued. They do nothing and people around the club are saying "brand Y is dangerous" and they do nothing and someone gets their eggs scrambled, Sued city.

Safe phrasing on their part.

Do I agree with what they are doing? Ain't my club, they can do what they want as long as the members are behind it and my opinion doesn't mean spit and it shouldn't. And you'll also notice that KBC was already banned.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    crusty9r likes this.
  7. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Looking at the Sharp ratings for those helmets, one has two stars, one three and one four. The lowest scoring ones have polycarbonate shells, which takes me back to the 70's and the ACU banning those helmets for racing. The reasoning being that they were very strong but transmitted the shock through to the wearer, I wonder if this is what the FIM want with their "tougher shell."

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Basically gonna have to Ban GSXR’s also since they are one in the same!

Phl218, G 97 and dickie doo like this.
  9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Keith Buras should be banned too.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Bitch you and your fucking fling-poo Chinese bike is also banned!!

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup:

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, GRTFOH!

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I don't know about their helmet's safety, but Icon stuff is shit. i do know their stupid helmets fall apart by themselves (traps, visors, etc.). And anyone that designs an helmet named "Speed Cretin" deserves to be kicked in the penis and banned from racing.

[​IMG]

ToofPic, crusty9r, RichB and 4 others like this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hmmmm, an Icon Geddy Lee replica? Instead of the two horns they could do one giant scoop in the top center and do the "Rossi face" around it. The scoop could be his nose and Lee's face painted around it.

They'd sell Gazillions! :D

mastermind likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Honestly, the number one reason I have used Arai is because of fit and comfort. I started out with AGV but after the first time I put on an Arai, It just felt right. Never wore anything else since. Although I’m pretty sure there are a lot of other good helmets out there that are just as safe. Arai does it for me.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  16. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I looked through the icon website and couldn't find any SNELL stamps on the helmets in the pictures. Do they still pass it?

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

B-r-a-n-c-h-o.

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Icon at 20mph[​IMG]

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

Brancho
    Dong

Metalhead likes this.