1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Art in Titanium:

Discussion in 'General' started by Repo Man, May 9, 2015.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

1990's Yamaha YZR500 expansion chambers - Imagine how many hours of design, cutting sheet, forming, then welding it took to make four of these... Dammmmmm!! :eek:

True Art!! :bow:

[​IMG]

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Ask Kevin Schwantz about handmade titanium chambers...and how quickly they can be junk.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The story about the japanese guy he made cry? :D

4. Ed Sorbo

Ed Sorbo Well-Known Member

You sure that's Ti? I ask because the welds look poor and the color looks wrong for Ti.

5. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Apart from that, they look like CRAP work man ship.

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Agree...

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Not the weld quality I would expect from a factory gp bike.

8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

KR Snr Exhaust pipe Builder lives in my home town, a Guy called Sean Raven, ( worked with him for about 2 years) and man is he a Fefin awsome quality Pipe builder/welder

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yes. But best when Kevin tells it.

10. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd be overly worried about pretty welds on something riders were going to destroy untold times per year

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Inconel then?

12. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Cracked welds LOOSE HP man, so they matter BIG time. I spent 12 months in Japan Making RS 125 and 250 Pipes for " Sadanori Hikita Racing" NOT the welding though.

13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Kinda looks like stainless to me.

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

No,way wrong color in both material and welded area, more than likely they are steel, as were most all exp chambers of the day.

15. Aweasel

Aweasel Well-Known Member

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

As a pretty decent welder I've gotta agree, welds ain't very good.

17. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I said pretty, not strong.

18. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Crap welds are not pretty nor strong dude:up: Piece out

19. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

You are not bending and forming Ti in a normal garage that crap is very spring like and loves to go back to its original shape. I have bend some on a press break and it sucks. You have to way over bend it. Days later if you don't heat it correctly it will still be trying to go back to original shape. It is strange material.

A friend of mine welds jet engine parts out of Ti and it is done in a box almost like a sand blaster, he said it can be done with out the box but it take way more gas cause the Ti needs gas on both side of the weld. I don't know if this is true or if I'm even getting what he told me correct, I'm sure Britt could correct this. But point is you are not doing it in a small garage unless you are real good like Britt.

20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

It needs to be welded in an oxygen absent environment. Ti reacts with O2 when hot.