1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are failed used car salesmen now selling RVs?

Discussion in 'General' started by rwdfun, Nov 19, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Pick a fold. Any fold.

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I think that’s what he kinda meant but was using his Carolina grammar.
    Bless his heart.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

It would take that many strokes for me to get to the good stuff.

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Quiet.

t11ravis likes this.
  5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

5200lbs? Thats easily doable and safe with a 1500... lol...

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And that's only gonna get to the cottage cheese holes on the left ass cheek.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The trailer or the chick?

Phl218 likes this.
  8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Go find a mom and pop type dealer, where the owners are part of the regular staff. Any dealer that has corporate offices ..and shareholders are all the same BS.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You forgot the Amish. Half the production is Elkhart meth heads....the other half are Amish.

And they make more than $25/hr when you consider hitch bonus and short work days

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I've bought two different Toy Haulers from two different dealers and two different brands. Both dealers were top notch, no B.S. and a pleasure to work with.....but there are plenty of shitty ones out there. The last one was Southaven RV and Marine in Southaven, MS....just south of Memphis about 20 or 30 miles. The sales process was smooth and was all done via phone as I live 8 hrs from there. The F&I guy was doing his job asking if I was interested in any of the add on.....sealant, extended warranty, etc and I respectfully declined and never heard another word about it from him. PDI was 3 hours worth of the tech explaining stuff to me, showing stuff to me, and helping me completely through the hook up process as this one was my first every 5ver. I discovered a small issue with the trailer after we left the dealership (we stayed in a campground that was literally across the street from the dealership) and he brought a golf cart over (15 minutes before closing time), looked at the issue and went back and got the part ready for me to stop my the next morning on our way out and home. We went there the next morning and the issue was solved in 10 minutes and we were on our way. They did want to know what size truck I had to tow the new T.H. home with, as it is 20,000 lbs GVWR. My answer was a F350 Dually, but at least they asked to make sure I had enough truck....many don't. I seriously wish that they were my home town dealer....they run a top notch dealership.

TurboBlew and t11ravis like this.
  11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Angel don't fly!

Repeat: Angel don't fly! That bird is definitely flightless.....

12. nick_b_507

nick_b_507 Member

The RV industry is designed to take advantage of old people that have a large retirement savings. From the construction to the decor to the pricing model to the sales pitches to all of the accessories.

I betcha if your parents (or grandparents) went to the same dealer and talked to the same person, they'd leave with every extended warranty and 17 different sewer accessories to ensure that they can handle every type of poo conceivable. Among other nonsense.

Figure out what you want on your own. Check out manufacturer sites as well as YouTube for full video tours. Then negotiate everything online with a mom n pop type dealer and show up with a check. I found a great dealer that way (Lerch RV in central PA) and the experience was actually enjoyable.

13. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I'll add one thing. Not all General RV dealers are like this. We bought our Outlaw at General RV in Akron, Oh and it was fairly painless experience. I guess they don't deal in Outlaws now. They of course asked about the extended warranty which we declined as we purchased one on our own through Wholesale Warranties at considerable savings. We used it a few times when we had an issue with our leveling jacks as well as a slideout issue with no issues. We also had them install an inverter before taking possession and they did a quality job for a pre-negotiated reasonable price.

Brian_J and omatter34 like this.
  14. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

And in elephant gray no less.

ducnut, Venom51 and R Acree like this.
  15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I've heard crazy mark-up numbers on RV's. I'm not even sure "30ish%" constitutes a "good" deal.

My last experience at General RV, the guy talked a bunch, never did anything to convince me getting an RV was a good idea, then used my name at a bike shop (acting like we were friends), while being a complete tool to the shop to try and get a discount. Never went back.

16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Markup may be a lot, but they sit on inventory for years at a time.

17. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I just purchased our new Toy Hauler at General Rv near Tampa, Fl and had a great experience from sales, to walk through, and even service when I brought it back with a punch list of things that needed to be addressed after our first 2 trips.

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I see what you did there Travis...

:D

t11ravis likes this.
  19. rwdfun

rwdfun

Do you mind giving out a few details?

On the following did they initially charge you for it, how much, did you negotiate, and what did you end up paying

Destination
    Prep package (which included battery, LP but mainly for them to remove the door and pressurize and leak check the unit)
    Documentation fee
    Corner Stone service contract (Covering all expenses not covered by manufacturers warranty for I think 5 yrs)
    Platinum package (Cleaning and protecting the outside appearance)

BTW I just walked from my "deal" Got to read the emails to a mid-level manager at my outlet. Not sure he will do anything but it was worth reading them to him and seeing his response. I didn't get a feeling he was outraged by the tactics but not sure he was happy with me having it in emails either. My suspicions is he's more upset it was in writing than him actually using those tactics

ducnut likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The exterior stuff is true but only if you go get it washed at truck washes all the time, do it yourself and actually wax it regularly and it won't look like ours does.

The interior is silly and just depends on how afraid you are of working on a house that goes through an earthquake every time you move it. Mostly though as with cars the extended warranties are pure dealer profit.

ducnut likes this.