1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are failed used car salesmen now selling RVs?

Discussion in 'General' started by rwdfun, Nov 19, 2019.

1. rwdfun

rwdfun

So I'm in the market and have been looking and calling around. I won't bore you with the search details but decided on a local corporate type dealer since they had a unit I liked on the lot and are close. Turns out this may be the biggest waste of time and may walk away form the "deal" Just trying to see if the following tactics are normal

They knock off $2K from sales sticker before I ask so I take them up on it

I need a low profile AC installed so I ask what that will cost to install before I take it. They come back with a $1900 quote for the unit I can get for $825 and doesn't need a full install since what is in the unit is already the same brand. They price match but still say 1 hour labor. So in the end I talk them down $900 but not getting any deal there

Then they try to hit me for $1300 to prep and leak check the unit. I definitely argue that they are doing something that should be done by the factory especially if I'm buying a brand new unit. This is when the sh@t talking of the manufacture begins. No unit is ready to take from the factory they don't have good quality, etc, etc. I wait to negotiate on that as I also see a $1250 destination charge and $220 documentation fee. This is all before the tax/title/registration fees which everyone pays. I beat them up a little but ultimately I give them a bottom line which is $1K over the sales price but still giving them another $1K for the AC change. We come to a agreement

This is when it gets interesting. If I thought the trash talking of the manufacturer was bad before the finance guy takes it to a whole other level. He is trying to sell me a service contract and after the first email I tell him no he sends 2 more pitching it without me even mentioning his words. Below are the 3 emails where the OEM and corporate offices might like to know how they are selling their products but you decide. On top of this they are saying they won't let me tow it with a E350 7.3L diesel with brake controller unless they think it's safe and they are already talking delivery setup for liability reasons, which I'm sure they will want a fee for. I'm about to tell them to F@ck off and give them my full feelings

Email #1
    Please also consider the Cornerstone service contract and the Platinum Ultimate Plus. For a person as concerned with protecting their money, both are a no-brainer. I’m sure you looked at your manufacturer’s warranty and I’m sure you’ve discovered the loopholes and what is and isn’t covered. I remember you mentioned being handy, as am I, but my handiness stops short of removing a slider. An example of one of the loopholes is the repair of an item too large to fit through the door of the coach, such as a water heater or a refrigerator. Those items are repaired outside of the coach, but the warranty doesn’t cover their removal, so directly after delivery, this part of the repair is a customer pay. Our hourly rate is $200. There is no coverage from the manufacturer for appearance. As I’m not as interested in negotiating price as my counterparts are, I will cut it to the quick and give you the Platinum and the Cornerstone products at the minimum sale price:

BTW prices are $1735 & $1344 so I decline

Email #2
    Absolutely your prerogative.
    You looked at the manufacturer’s warranty and the brochures and you don’t think you need any of the service contracts? When you do your demo, you’ll be in our shop, the other 100 coaches back there are in for service work, new and old, at $200 an hour. When you’re at the campground and you see all those coaches that look like they are 10 years old, they are more likely 1 or 2. And yours will look like that next year. Why save the finance charge by paying cash if you want to pitch dollars out the window on inevitable service work? Why buy new if it looks like it’s old by the time you take it out of storage in the spring? Sharp isn’t sharp if it isn’t sharp from every angle and while 5.75 is prime and better than typical, paying cash without protecting the investment is like winning the first half of a game and losing the second. Nearly 75% of General RV revenue comes from our service department, fixing things that are built to break and replacing weathered exterior panels. This isn’t a 2020 automobile, built by a computer and a robot and it doesn’t have clear coat. When asked, “how many people buy those two things?”, I always answer 99% take advantage of the new service contract pricing at point of sale and the other 1% come back after their first service visit and pay more for a used service contract.
    So far, I’ve been impressed with your savvy, but acrobatics without a net is a mistake. The conversations with our service customers break my heart every day.

I don't mention anything about the service contracts but ask to confirm ball size.

Email #3
    I just asked Brian and it’s 2 and 5/16ths, but the delivery department isn’t going to let you tow it unsafely. I’m sure Brian mentioned it, but we don’t allow hook up and go if hitch work is necessary for safety. For the sake of liability, might need to arrange for a site delivery. Our delivery coordinator will be calling you; she’ll let you know what you need.
    For my own personal interest, I was just scoping out Forest River’s manufacturer’s warranty claims on the BBB site, enlightening. Recommended reading before making a final decision on servic e contracts. Seems like it’s even worse than what our writers tell me. I know a lot of people think they are handy, but they aren’t with these and I know a lot of people think they’ve got friends, but they scatter when the light comes on. I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you don’t know.

Bringing in the BBB seems like the manufacturer would like to know that
    I only reply with asking for the actual statute the use to determine safety and I get the below response

Email #4
    As I mentioned, the delivery coordinator, Angel will be contacting you to confirm and let you know what you need. I don’t know whether or not she has a written “statute” for “determining safety”, but I do know, if, upon inspecting your truck and determining weight distribution we deem it unsafe, we won’t let you tow it. We will drop it off at your house or a camp site locally. In some cases there is a delivery fee. I (guess I) understand the need to challenge price and financing and having to learn the hard way on a service contract, but I don’t understand the idea of challenging your safety and the safety of others. Now I digress as you may be with in safety guidelines with an F350.

Forgot to mention I have a 10,000lb hitch and will have class V ball and forged ball mount rated to 15,000 lbs from Curt. I have a brake controller and the trailer is a 27' total length weighing 5200 lbs with split dual axles

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I still can't believe email #2. :crackup:

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Failed used car salesmen? The good ones go to RV sales. I don't think they even have to tell you what the sticker price is, they just make shit up as they go.

ducnut likes this.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Don’t do the deal. There’s a past RV dealer here and a bunch of us who’ve owned them.

I see General RV mentioned. I’m guessing, they’re as bad as Camping World. Whatever you’re looking at can probably be found at a family-owned and/or independent dealer, possibly under a different lineup name.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'll just rent a hotel room...

RV's and boats...both best rented or left at the dealer lot.

Brian_J, jaybirdka and Metalhead like this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I was expecting a bit more shenanigans, tbh. I have no RV experience, but everyone I talk to about them at the track says they are all built like shit outside of the very high end stuff and the used ones are actually a better deal because the first owner fixed all the issues. While email #1 is certainly typical sales talk trying to strike fear into you, there is probably some truth to it.

As for the "we won't let you tow it out of here," sounds like they got burned by a customer in the past and prefer to do drop-offs to avoid liability. If they try to charge you delivery when your truck is rated for it, I'd tell them to screw off, but if you're not within the guidelines of your truck (sounds like you are) I could absolutely understand where they are coming from.

7. rwdfun

rwdfun

Well we know MSRP don't mean a damn thing. Is the delaers cost like 50% of it or what

Phl218 and ducnut like this.
  8. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

9. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Walk away man.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There's roughly a 100% markup on RV's, so yeah.

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

^^^Eleventy Brazillion times THIS^^^

12. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Any pics of Angel...?

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

[​IMG]

14. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I bought a 1987 5th wheel travel trailer for $2,500 and used it for 4 years with the wife/kids and had a blast. Spent $100 and an afternoon resealing the roof and sold it for $2,500. The prices people pay for travel trailers is something I just don't understand. I'm fine with it though, cause I'll own it in 10 years after all of the issues have been sorted out and it isn't worth more than $5k.

15. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

They wont let you tow it with a E350 diesel? Fuck my 1/2 ton sierra can pull that damn trailer (if it has 3500lb axles. 5000lb axles put it over the legal limit). Hell I seen people pulling similar trailers with a fucking Tacoma off Camping Worlds lot.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Gotdangit this ain't right boy, this ain't right!

jaybirdka and Banditracer like this.
  17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

My 2001 Dodge Dakota, w/ trailer towing, yadda, yadda- will tow that weight a trailer!!
    Your truck will hardly even know it's back there!

I can understand it's the trailer yo want, but I don't recommend buying from them

18. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

What a crock of shit... I'd move on.

Besides who pays MSRP.

StaccatoFan and K51000 like this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It should be against the law, no, a mortal sin, to manufacture spandex in sizes that large.

tl1098 and t11ravis like this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

Which email contained the gun being held to your head.

MELK-MAN likes this.