1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archery Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Gumby647, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Reading about bow hunting in another thread reminded me of something I've been meaning to do for a long time which is master archery. I'm thinking about going out and looking at bows tomorrow but don't know too much about them.
    I'm thinking it would be best to go with a recurve since they are supposed to be harder to master and easier to maintain. I'm not really sure what to look for though. There are a wide range of sizes and draw weights. I'm also curious what other gear is a must have to go with it, besides arrows.

any expert advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i would recommend starting with a compound bow. it will be easier to learn with, and in a few years, you may want the additional challenge of traditional archery.
    as far as bows go, get a single cam bow, like a Jennings or Bear. if you want to drop more $$$, a Mattews is a excelent bow, and what i would buy if i got back into it.
    additional equipment:
    - aluminium arrows(Easton XX78's are my choice)
    - buy a high quality rest, such as a Golden Premire
    - a mechanical release(one that anchors around your wrist)
    - a multi pin or single pin adjustable sight
    - a peep sight
    - stabilizer
    - wrist sling
    - a hip quiver(much handier for at the range, which is where you will need to spend a lot of time before going hunting.

hints:
    use 100 grain tips on your arrows, and use feathers, not
    vanes on your arrows.
    do not get caught up in buying a super fast bow
    do not buy carbon or ACC arrows
    buy a bow with a 60-70lb pull
    go to a reputable archery shop and get fitted for
    proper pull, do not go to Walmart or some other store
    like that.
    if you have any questions, ask me, i was pretty heavy into
    archery about 7-8 years ago, and could shoot in the
    top 10% of local 3D tourney's.

3. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Go to an archery shop and look around. I've got a compound bow with a peephole sight in the sting. I like it. But a friend had a recurved wooden one...always liked it better. Matter of personal preference.

Recurved ones can be unstrung easily....same can't be said for compound bows. Next time I use mine I'll have to get it restrung.

There is a ton of stuff you can add on to a bow for easier targeting. (Peephole, sights, counterweights, etc.)

Find one with a decent pull for you....just don't get one of those crappy plastic ones. Them's fer kiddies!

:)

4. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Uh...CB....he's looking to start learning archery. Not win the olympics. Geeezzzzz

:Poke:

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

:stupid:

Stick with a compound bow at 60-65. If anyone tells you you need more than that, they are wrong. You can go clean through a buck in rut with 60lbs.

Don't wast your money on trick arrowheads. If you plan to eat what you kill (if not then don't shoot an animal) use a 3-4 blade arrowhead. All the spring loaded ones do is add extra weight and make a mess out of your trophy kill.

Using a bow will make you a better hunter. Espescially from the ground. It will force you to learn how to track, sneak, and call in your game. And bring patience, a bow isn't point and shoot, but it is alot of fun if you like challenges.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

7. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

The pin sights I understand but what is a peep sight?
    When making recomendations keep in mind I'm only doing this for fun and the arrows will never hit anything that isn't made of foam.

I thought starting with a traditional bow while harder might prevent me from getting bad habits early on. Same with the mechanical release.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

just helping him avoid some mistakes i made when i started out.

now i've got the itch to break out my 1996 Jennings UniForce. :D

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

a peep sight is a small hole on the string that you look thru.
    peep sights

by starting out with a compound , and learning proper technique, you will become a much better shooter, particularily if you go to traditional.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  10. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Imagine coming across this string...

I have 2 lengths of osage orange seasoning in my basement. One is for a recurve, the other for a longbow.

11. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Add that to the targeting sights on the bow (near the grip) and you can adjust for range and get accurate relatively quickly.

Personally....I've killed a hell of a lot of hay bales. :)

12. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Banned

13. skeesm

skeesm Well-Known Member

:D :D

CB Having felled a few yew and ash trees and crafted my own Turkish recurves from scratch and slung a few arrows myself back in the day, I can tell you there's nothing like feeling the good firm pull against your shoulders of a Turkish style recurve bow that you crafted yourself from yew ash and glued together with wilderbeast hoof glues - but I will admit chasing that son-of-a-gun down and getting him to give up a hoof or two was always the toughest and most unpleasant part of it all.

14. Shingle Monkey

Shingle Monkey Schuck, Schuck

A good small archery shop is worth more than you will ever get off of the bbs.:Poke: :D

Find one that has an indoor range and a pro that has some time to help you.

I started shooting in leagues when I was 8. Killed first deer at 12.

Shooting wild pigs with a bow is my favorite thing to do...other than the big bucks, deer dont seem to be a changle anymore.

15. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

if you're doing this just for fun in the backyard, then i'd go with a longbow. i worked in an archery pro shop for 5 years and shot probably a 100 tournaments while i was in college to earn $. i've shot every type bow ever built, and while i primarily shoot a compound, a longbow or recurve will be much more challenging and rewarding to learn. there's not a lot of gadgets needed in traditional archery. you need the bow, a string, arrows, a finger tab or glove, and an armguard. thats it. you dont have to worry about all the mechanics of the bow, although there is a lot to know, like brace height, draw length, string material, etc.....the overall skill needed for traditional archery is greater than shooting a compound, thats why some probably suggest starting with it. but the turks and english didnt have all that fancy stuff way back hundreds of years ago. :D

as shingle suggested, find a bow shop, one that knows what they're doing. i could write a book on both modern and traditional archery, everything from form, to history, to equipment. if you get really serious and cant find any help, i'll help you offline. too much to type and my hands hurt. :cool:

16. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

I love threads like these...

almost makes me want to take up archery:D

How does competition archery compare to roadracing $$$?

17. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

In roadracing if you win a competition, the other 20 people you beat don't have weapons :D

18. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Banned

In competition you still travel, especially if you are going for Olympics, there is no age restriction on it either. Supplies will cost you less as there aren't as many parts to buy.

I go here for my archery supplies

Freddie Bear

19. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i had probably a $1000 in all of my equipment. you could win that back in a couple tournaments. you have an initial outlay of cash for supplies, but entry fees are dirt cheap. i didnt travel far. here in the south, we rednecks had tournaments nearly every weekend. :D

20. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

How much life doyou get out of arrows?