1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS660 Tech Discussion

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Monsterdood, May 2, 2022.

1. kildagin

kildagin Well-Known Member

I have the UPMap, its easy to use and replicates the Aprilia ECU. That said, I would recommend the Aprilia Race ECU. I recently took the bike to the Aprilia dealership to see if they would warranty my faulty IMU since the bike has less than 800 miles, and they refused stating that my bike "has been manipulated and tampered with using UPmap programming ....no warranty coverage for any IMU or any fuel injection related issues due to rogue mapping running the engine. ..." They also said any Engine warranty claims would be denied in the future. I had re-flashed the ECU to stock before taking the bike in, but PADS seems to be able to detect the fact that it has been altered.

I am not excessively agitated over this since I am sure it says somewhere that flashing the ECU voids the warranty, but my suspicion is that had I used a Race ECU and swapped back before heading to the dealer I would have avoided this and had the IMU replaced. I am sure others will chime in but that's my two cents.
    Mike

2. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

Up-Map with Gabro tune. I have voided my warranty so many times over now, I've lost count.

3. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

I'm using the stock ECU with the RapidBike/auto-tuner...not sure what additional benefit there is to the Race ECU with the Rapidbike as it gets rid of all the emissions limitations without changing ECU
    If memory serves - the RapidBike is about same $ as Race ecu

4. Badger911GT3

Race ECU or Up-Map both enable option for GP shift, and pit speed limiter.

Lance Molnar likes this.
  5. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the Akro header has enough room to move the radiator back. The RS660 that I just bought came with the Akro new in the box.
    I don’t want to mount it if there is not enough clearance to move the rad back like there is on the SC Project header.

6. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

No problems using the Akra with the stock radiator mounts even using full fork travel.

7. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

What are you guys doing for gearing? I need to order sprockets to cover most tracks on the east coast.
    I think oem is 17/43.

8. Badger911GT3

I've been running 17/44 at fast tracks (Road ATL and Roebling), and 16/44 at slower (Barber, Jennings).

9. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

We're looking at picking up either an R7 or RS660 for my wife to race next year. Would like to keep the bike to SS legal.

With that being said, it seems like the Aprilia would be more competitive in SS trim. I've been reading that for the Yamaha to make decent power it needs the airbox opened up.

One thing that concerns me about the Aprilia is that it seems you need to put an aftermarket upper triple clamp on it to install aftermarket clip ons. Wouldn't this make it illegal for SS? Are the stock clip on bars easily replaceable or are they part of the stock triple?

What is the general consensus on the cooling issues? This bike will be raced in the SE region so it will be hot. I saw that there may be aftermarket radiator or water pump options but again, would like to stay SS legal.

Does anyone have any first hand experience comparing the Aprilia and R7 that they would like to share?

Thanks.

10. Badger911GT3

The R7 needs a big motor build to be competitive hp-wise with the Aprilia. In SS trim, it's a big difference. Come to think of it, I don't know whether replacing the top triple clamp is legal in Wera SS. But in practice, I doubt it would be an issue. The stock top triple and bars are easily replaced. The bars can be removed separately from the stock top triple, but then you'd be left with a weird riser on the top triple.

I raced the Aprilia in the southeast this summer and fall, and had no issues with stock cooling system, and just water in the radiator.

My Aprilia has been fussy, especially the electronics. I'd bet the R7 is more reliable, at least apart from a 100 hp R7 motor. But I LOVE my RS660. So fun.

yuengling910 likes this.
  11. kildagin

kildagin Well-Known Member

It is possible to run aftermarket clip-ons with the stock upper triple. There may be clearance issues for fatter clip-ons, but I run vortex with the stock triple without issues (I did need to cut away some of the upper fairing, but I think that would be the case regardless of triples with the plastics I have). On the power question, my bike makes 89 RWHP with just an exhaust and an ECU flashed to be like the Aprilia race ECU. A thin head gasket should add a bit more. I don't think a SS R7 can come close.

yuengling910 likes this.
  12. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Exactly, R7 would need airbox intake mods and cams to get anywhere near the power of superstock RS660. I really do not think the superstock LW Twins rules are being enforced by racers. At Pitt last year there were full built MA Twins Cup R7 and RS660’s in the superstock club race. My plan is to run aftermarket clamps with OEM offset and if someone wants to protest me that is fine, I will take the loss. I will be running OEM master cylinder though.

At Nelsons I was the only bike on the grid in superstock LW Twins. I think WERA should just change it to a 2 race format and have SB rules.

yuengling910 likes this.
  13. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I noticed Dynojet now offers a PC6 for the RS660. Anyone have experience with it? Similar to Rapid Bike module?

A quick glance made it seem like the changes were limited to +/- 15% on fuel and 8 degrees on timing. I’m guessing it’s an emissions compliance thing but maybe it’s related to the ECU being a torque map.

I have a Rapid Bike module sitting in a box and haven’t installed it yet but was curious about the PC6.

14. slowcbr

slowcbr New Member

They big thing is who is going to protest you. I have heard of guys losing championships over windscreens. I think that a dick move. I raced c ss last year and raced against guys with aftermarket calibers and rotors. some had built motors, full aftermarket suspension. For a novice season nobody going to protest over silly stuff. If you wanna spend extra money to protest my top triple or suspension... go for it. There is no money involved other than contigencys. IF it was pro level or a money race, it be a different story. A comfortable rider is a safe rider.

15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

A superstock legal R7 will make 72-73hp at 9000rpm, then the hp nosedives over 10hp as it approaches the rev limiter. The oem airbox/intake trumpet setup on the R7 is tuned for mid range and absolutely kills the top end, and it can not be changed if you want to stay superstock legal. A superstock legal RS660 will make 87-89hp. No comparison.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

17. 0100

0100 Active Member

What are you guys running for Rearsets?

Looking at all the ones available for days now, and can't decide.

18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Most (but not all) seem to be running either Spider or Woodcraft. The Spiders are works of art and are what I have. I like them but they do cost a bit.

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I have woodcraft and have no complaints

20. 0100

0100 Active Member

Great, thanks guys!