1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS250 Cup bike

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by 50Joe, Apr 24, 2014.

1. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Still drooling over it too...... please sell it. I am way too tempted by this.....

t

2. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Buy it and I can bring it up to Charlotte for you when I attend the Auto Fair in September...

I cant believe this aint SOLD. Not going to get a better bike NOR from a better seller either!!

3. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Old thread but is this thing still for sale?

4. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I bought it. :) it's sitting with its twin and smaller autistic siblings

5. mattology

6. Skter505

Damn nice collection. So what's the deal with these things I sent Joe a PM about it but how are they for track bikes. I'm 6'3 205 without gear. Are they rideable or are parts too hard to find? I've always wanted one almost bought the street version for my first bike back when they were cheap new on the showroom floor but I was scared it wouldn't make a good street bike.

7. mattology

honestly, I don't really know how to answer these questions, but i will try. i say that I probably have a biased opinion because I haven't had much of experience with regular sportbikes, they are supposed to be a lot easier.

1) 6'3 205 without gear, you are probably not going to be too terribly cramped on the bike but you may want to get it re sprung for your weight or whatever. it's not as roomy as an rsv mille but more roomy than an rsv4 factory that i rode

2) are parts too hard to find? not really, but they do cost a lot more. There are a lot of parts that are no longer available OEM, but many third parties are building better, upgraded parts.

stuff like:

the power valves are a poor design from the factory and should be gone through and replaced with the better billet stuff.

the power valve pulleys themselves wear into the cables as well so you need to replace the pulleys and the cables. they make nicer uprated parts

the hardware inside all that is phillips head and needs to be replaced with allen key hardware because the phillips strip out.

the plastic choke cable nuts break on the carburetors super easily. some guy in europe makes really nice brass ones i think

the cranks are available new still and if the labrinthe seal isn't too messed up cranks can be rebuilt for a decent price

cylinders are available from the uk, re-plated with apticote 2000, etc

yamaha yz125 pistons are a hot setup for a single ring setup, stock based pistons are still available as well

all sorts of guys make rgv heads that are upgraded for these, a bunch of different chambers, etc for avgas or whatever you want to run

rearsets are all still available, new clutch parts are still available

i don't think the swingarm chain wear guide is available anymore

aftermarket bodywork is all still available

aftermarket ignitions are available that work great and they make a lot more power these days with better power valve adjustments, etc

the rear swingarm adjusters are kinda janky, the same guy that makes the nice choke nuts makes nicer swingarm adjusters

hardparts like swingarms, wheels, and frames can be found, but not for cheap

cases are kind of hard to find but if you have a few grand you can get a complete motor

dry clutch parts are impossible to find

there are replacement transmission parts around, better 1/2 gear ratios that makes the transmission overall much closer ratio

8. Skter505

Thanks for the response, it helps. I realize parts are gonna be pricey but it's nice to see that they are at least still available for the most part. You said clutch parts still available but dry clutch parts impossible? Kinda confused by that. Are some not a dry clutch?

There is a street model somewhat close to me but it has a GSXR front end and other mods that may be common but kind of scare me away also. The price also seems high but I don't know what is realistic.

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/4979505022.html Here is a link to an add, hopefully that's not against the rules or anything if it is I'll delete it

9. mattology

that is a mark 1, the reason the front end was gone through is a good one. the mark 1 forks aren't nearly as good as the mark 2 forks. all cup bikes are mark 2's.

dry clutch never came on the rs250, but it was kit parts. you can also get the dry clutch from a vj22 sp rgv250. you would need the cover, the gearbox including the input shaft, the full clutch, and some other little bearings and tidbits. other than that it goes right in if you have all the parts.

bike seems pretty good. 17 digit vin is worth a lot in the usa

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Ive got a couple odd spares i'd sell if anyone would want/need them.

Complete cup wiring harness (as new)

Black tail cone (couple paint chips near the screw holes but otherwise looks new.

11. mattology

I would love to say that I could use the spares, but I'm just trying to get my life back in order including having a garage shop for the time being.

12. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I think I have almost whole bike in parts (no engine).
    Should have complete street bodywork with lights as well.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Don't give that stuff away. The values have gone up. Street bodywork is especially valuable.

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have a spare engine....

15. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

ONE DAY.. I will own one of these... This was the perfect bike as far as how clean and well kept it is.

I have been soo close to buying 2 of them

1st one was sold before we could finalize the deal

2nd was just last week - the guy selling it knew nothing about it really and I just didn't feel comfortable buying it from him (taken in on trade, didn't know about the motor, miles etc...)

16. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I wish I still had my 92 VJ22!

17. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

Anyone want an RS250 project cheap?
    I have a 96 silver RS250 street bike. I bought it last fall for $2200 to rescue it. It had a locked up motor and the bodywork was off the bike (all there except a left fairing). The bike has 4700 kilometers and is all stock except an Arrow exhaust and an Ohlins shock. I was between projects and waiting on bypass surgery. It was therapy to keep my mind occupied. I pulled the motor just before surgery, got bore tech to redo the cylinder, got new piston and gaskets and had Lance Gamma do a top end rebuild ($1300). I got the motor back yesterday and put it back in the frame today. I plan to slowly continue reassembling it.
    However, I went to Roebling last weekend and ran some laps on my 30 hp vintage bike. I don't think given my age and condition I want to ride a 60 hp track bike in the future. My heart is now longer in this project.
    The bike has a 17 digit VIN and documentation and all the street gear. It can not be registered in any state which coordinates with the EPA database as they have it listed as allowed in the US for racing only. This bike has never been on the track since I drilled the drain plug today, but judging by the tires it was ridden hard and well.
    I am ready to write off some of this investment as therapy to clear space in the work shop for the vintage rebuilds. It needs to go to a good home and get ridden again.
    [email protected]

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

If that's the bike I think it is it's the dogs, brilliantly thought out and put together.:D

19. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

email sent

20. mattology

i might be interested in the 250