1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS125?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by JamesG, Jul 18, 2001.

1. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Ok what can I say, I have a taste for odd little Italian bikes...

But, I've been looking around and the 125 looks pretty cool, not the replica the RS50 is, 30HP stock, 135 lbs. dry weight, Rotax motor, AL frame, etc... seems on paper to be compeditive with RS and TZ 125s...

What ya think?

2. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

Here is the spec sheet from Aprilia.com

Engine Type single-cylinder, two-stroke, liquid-cooled.
    Cylinder in aluminium with Gilnisil coating on the barrel

Bore and Stroke 54 x 54.5 mm.
    Displacement 124.8 cc
    Compression Ratio 12.5 :1
    Carburettor Dellorto PHBH 28D,
    Ignition electronic
    Start-up electric
    Generator 12V-180W
    Lubrication separate mixer with volumetric, variable capacity pump
    Gearbox 6 ratio
    Primary transmission toothed gearing
    Clutch multiple discs in oil bath
    End transmission chain driven
    Frame double, sloping beam in aluminium fusion with thin-walled monocoque and crossed-rib stiffening completely polished.
    Suspensions front:"Upside-down" fork in high tensile steel,
    Ø 40 mm., travel 120 mm.

rear: swinging fork with two asymmetric arms, in aluminium fusion with thin-walled monocoque. Single hydraulic shock absorber, travel 120 mm.

Brakes front: floating disc Ø 320 mm, caliper with four parallel pistons;
    rear: disc brake, Ø 220 mm.

Rims with spokes, light alloy
    front: 3.00 x 17"; rear: 4.00 x 17"

Tyres front: 110 /70 x 17"; rear: 150/60 x 17"
    Dimensions maximum length 1960 mm.
    maximum width 615 mm.

maximum height: 1090 mm.

wheel base: 1345 mm.

Dry Weight 114 kg.
    Fuel tank Capacity 14 litres (reserve 3 litres

3. rodnex

rodnex Member

* requires VERY deep pockets [​IMG]

4. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

At 30 HP it sounds like it is 12 HP shy. Also consider that you will not be able to get that $3.00 gasket from anyone and will have to be totally self sufficiant.

Bill Cole

5. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

You guys are talking about two different animals here. There is an RS125 streetbike and an RS125 racebike...If that is not confusing enough, the Honda is also an RS125...got that. The RS125 streetbike will make 20 someodd hp at the rear wheel and top out at 100mph, it costs about $4000. The Aprilia RS125 gp racer makes 45hp and tops out between 135-140mph. It is a beautiful piece and built without most of the cost saving efforts of an RS125 Honda or a TZ125 Yamaha. WP forks, Brembo brakes, Ti bolts, carbon bodywork...all stock. The last time I heard, they were $20,000+. Kevin Murray had one, but sold it a few months back...he really loved it.

Rocky

6. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Naw, I was talking about the prody street bike. I KNOW the GP machine is outta sight. But wouldn't it be overkill for club level 125 racing here anyway? Its for teams running in the world GP level...

I just wonder how a race preped Aprilia 125 would fair against the machines usually run in WERA GP.

7. michael

michael Well-Known Member

as for those gaskets if im not totally out of whack i think the 250 actually has a suzuki motor in it i have a rs50 which also has a suzuki motor i wonder if the 125 is the same seems you should contact blackmans cycle or hemilsback (however he spells his name) one of them should know anything you would need

8. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

The street model would not fair even at the club level. Make a nice pit bike though! I would think that the Race model would be needed to hang with Peters and Krachet. Peters was doing 32's at VIR. That is hauling ass!!!

Bill Cole

9. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

The 125 has a Rotax motor in it.

10. Comet117

Comet117 Well-Known Member

The 250 was using Suzuki RGV250 motors.
    I saw a 125GP Tally this spring, and it was schweet!