1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone want to rent bikes and ride in Montana this summer?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Man...you stole my idea! :crackup:About 20 years ago the Utility I worked for bought Montana Power and Light. I had this fantasy of getting transferred there, setting up a 4 season dude ranch and living the life of Riley. Unfortunately they didn't need (or want!) any nuclear engineers......Bikes in the summer and skiing/sleds in the winter. Good luck with my idea...(color me jealous). :bow:

motion likes this.
  2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

You already posted this a few pages ago

:crackup:

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I plead old age........

StaccatoFan likes this.
  4. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

:D

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Any issues thus far with the bikes? Long term reliability? Looking to get back on a cheap "adventure bike" and those things have caught my eye.

6. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

I just got back from my second trip to beartooth......that place is great! Camped at Perrys RV as recommended by motion.

Went from there to Sturgis for a week, then back to ATL.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Ahhhh yes, Bozangeles, LOL. Great town, but it gets slammed in the summer, along with Jackson and Cody. Next time!

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

If you keep your expectations low, they're a great bike. If you think you're getting a Honda, you'll be disappointed. Lots of little niggling things and QC issues from the factory. Closest dealer is 5 hours from me, so I get no warranty love. So far, everything has been easy to fix, so nothing major. I like them and the renters seem to love them. A slightly used KLR650 for $4500 is a much better purchase, but if you want something new with a warranty, they're hard to beat.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Nice! You came during a great summer... lots of rain and this area is green like Hawaii!

10. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

just emailed link to dad. he's been itching to do a cross country ride, I'd rather fly in and do this for 5 5-7 days.

motion likes this.
  11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Kind of exactly what I figured. I just like the utilitarian look of them. Half expected to see a Briggs and Stratton cradled in the frame.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Waiting for your signup... :)

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, they kind of feel like a B&S. Very old school overall.

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Have you figured out an annual maintenance cost on your fleet yet?

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

It’s nearly nothing, since I do everything myself. Why, are you thinking about doing something similar?

16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

No...I was just curious how they held up and if it was cost efficient.
    The only similar thing for me would be a trip up there and ride. :D

motion likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They’re pretty solid overall. More crashes than I anticipated, but it is what it is. .)

Sabre699 likes this.
  18. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

How many are in your fleet and how often are you sold out? Kickass gig btw

motion likes this.
  19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks. 7 bikes. I’ve sold out a few times but usually 3-4 are out. I’ve only been doing this since July 1.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Got the new promo piece up and running. I think it turned out pretty well.... does this make you want to ride in Montana?