1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Still Selling On Ebay?

Discussion in 'General' started by t500racer, Jan 17, 2021.

1. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Former Ebay seller, away from it for ten years, thinking about starting back up, mostly vintage bikes and parts.

What's changed in the last decade? Is it still the best place to sell these types of items? Are the fees and rules ridiculous? Appreciate any relevant information or experiences. Thanks!

2. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Still sell on eBay but the fees are crazy high! 10% plus PayPal is a must now which hits you for another 3% Everything needs to be free shipping also or they add fees for that? plus people almost expect free shipping these days? You just need to price things with that in mind. Still the best to sell to a wider audience, I sold more stuff to Europe then the states. they do let you list for free and you can keep listing till it sells... Good Luck!

R/T Performance likes this.
  3. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I'm not really a seller but definitely a buyer.....seems like the trend is moving toward Facebook Marketplace. You can join groups that target specific populations.

Yes I still look on ebay and craigslist but I'm finding on FB Marketplace those groups are more in tune with realistic prices.....currently anyways.

R/T Performance and t500racer like this.
  4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I tried selling my old car on eBay. Winning bidder "didn't realize shipping a car from Ohio to Oregon would be really expensive." Missed the down-payment. Filed non-paying bidder. More bs filing. Did second offer to 2nd highest bidder. Was a scammer. Relisted. Next winner was non-responsive. Went to FB. Put up with the losers and lowballers there, but eventually sold it for a price I was happy with.

EBay has a non-binding bid policy for vehicles. If the buyer wins the auction, he doesn't actually have to go through with it. Easy for bored people to waste your time.

5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Its a pain as others described above, and is a last resort for me if I have exhausted my local sales listing and product isnt moving. Ebay eventually gets it sold. Free to list, but expect fees for getting that broader audience.

pfhenry likes this.
  6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

I like it but always do buy it now or best offer to combat the shit heads..
    I also click "returns not accepted" to avoid further shit heads.

Ebay sides with the buyer a lot so u gotta do things like this to protect yourself (12 really good photos also a must)

TX Joose, AMac, backbone and 2 others like this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I do Ebay sometimes, been on there since 2003. I buy much more than I sell. Ebay has a scoring system.

ScottieDucati likes this.
  8. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

ebay mostly sucks.

MachineR1, Banditracer and YamahaRick like this.
  9. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I own a pawn shop so eBay is a great tool and outlet for me. I try to keep 50-100 buy it nows up at once. I did away with auctions and as others said always include free shipping. I’m able to liquidate about 100k a year there though so even though it’s a pia sometimes it’s more streamlined for sure now that they’ve taken payment t processing in house and they auto charge taxes.

t500racer likes this.
  10. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

It’s really good if you have a unique item because of the global reach, and their international shipping program is painless.

I had a few sets of mint Brembo cast iton 320mm floating rotors. I priced them at $500/set and they sold to France and Australia.

Price what you have accordingly, and someone will likely buy it at some point. As others have said, forget the auctions and just list as buy-it-now.

Also, the system defaults to “or best offer,” so make sure to unselect that. And, you should indicate that free shipping is conus only.

have fun!

Quicktoy and t500racer like this.
  11. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

I still run auctions but I set the starting price at what I need to get for it. Costs less then running a buy it now! sometimes it goes for more.