1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone regret getting a liter bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by CafeRacer, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Rode a 1000 and 600 one season and the 1k was fun but For whatever reason I felt like riding the 1000 made me slower on the 600. Whether it was true or not I Sold the 1k and focused on the 600 and never missed the 1k.

The back straight at road a isn’t a time to rest on the 1k. It goes fassssstt

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I never concidered trying a 1K until after racing an R6 for the first time last weekend. Ive only raced 400's and fzr600's until this point,but getting on something newer and faster for a change does seem like it might be tempting after a season or 2 on the R6 to give a 1K a go. I understand a little more now that allure that some have.

3. There’s always that. :D

John Branch likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it.
    Get back to us in a couple decades. :D

Seriously, tho', screamin' a 1000 into a corner can be daunting. The closing speeds are a visual phenomena that must become something you're comfortable with. Can't learn it on a 600, so it's another learning level altogether.

5. Agreed. That is why I worked really hard in practice to determine gear shift points, brake points, turn-in points, etc.

When racing back to back on a 600 and 1000, i couldn't always rely on the sense of speed. Like when you ride a 600 over and over, even without set markers you have an idea about where you need to brake simply based on the speed you have generated and your closing speed into the corner. When immediately jumping off a 600 and on a 1000, it is easy to find yourself braking too early in the first couple of laps because you generate so much more speed and you are entering the braking zone going a lot faster. You can find yourself braking out of "fear" (for lack of a better term).

But by working hard in practice and taking good notes, i could come in hot pit and jump on the 1000, and didn't have to rely on feel or sense of speed. I knew that as long as the tires were up to temp and my brakes were hot/good, etc...for every turn I already had a plan. I knew "if i exit this corner in 2nd gear and get good drive, i will catch 3rd here, catch 4th here, and can brake here and still make the apex".

6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

If I whack the the throttle open here I’ll fly through the air and land here

Gorilla George and mpusch like this.