1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Live Near Tarrytown, NY?

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Dec 2, 2021.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My son is coming over this afternoon to help me with some things, I'll get more info then.

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

In addition to the bridge (I-87/287) across the Hudson at Tarrytown, there is a ferry across the river that ends in Tarrytown. Metro North's Hudson line stops in Tarrytown along the riverfront as well. Trains run from Poughkeepsie to NYC. Some Amtrak trains stop at Tarrytown, others stop at Croton and you can change trains there if commuting from farther north than Poughkeepsie. If she is driving, the Taconic & Sawmill River parkways are good commuting routes as well.

The west side of the river has cheaper housing as its harder to commute to NYC from the west side of the river.

Tarrytown itself is pretty pricey. Look in surrounding areas both north and south if you want to stay on the east side of the river.

Townhomes, co-ops, and condos in that area can be found cheaper than in many places in/around Toronto. Co-ops are usually cheaper, but you have to examine them closer as they have a greater impact on the place you live.

I had a nice place in Peekskill, about 20 miles north of Tarrytown. While a lot of housing is expensive, there are bargains for second/third tier places that aren't run down, but aren't in vogue. Also, some folks rent out spaces in their houses, or their guest house/cottage.
    Is she working within walking distance from the ferry landing / train station? Is she looking to rent or buy? How big of a place (apartment, house, studio, 1Br, 2Br, bigger?)
    I can hook you up with my real estate lady if she's looking to buy - she did right by me in selling my place last year.
    If she's looking to rent a local paper is probably the best bet. Some real estate agents also are apartment brokers to find a rental.

3. beac83

Hmm. Too far from the train/ferry. Working there, I'd look for places around Elmsford, Hawthorne, Ossining, or even Croton or Yorktown / Yorktown Heights. The commute on the Taconic/Sawmill parkways isn't bad most days.

4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I just heard from my contact they run a shuttle from the train station to the workplace... the Youngs are quick with the knowledge!

beac83 likes this.
  5. beac83

That certainly expands options for places to live and using public transit. You could even live in Manhattan and reverse commute from Grand Central, Harlem 125th St, or stations in the Riverdale area.

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yep I offered to IYC to send him images of my convo with contact... the consensus for the Youngs seems to be White Plains or Midtown Manhattan...

beac83 likes this.
  7. beac83

Murray Hill in Manhattan is a walk from Grand Central and has what for Manhattan are reasonable rents.

White Plains will be a bus/car commute, as the trains that serve White Plains are on a different train line (Harlem Line) than Tarrytown (Hudson Line). The lines diverge at 125th St in Manhattan.
    She may be better off with an apartment in the Ossining or Croton-on-Hudson area (North along 9A) than in White Plains.

Yzasserina likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Many thanks to both of you, I'm getting a lot of good info to pass along to her. I found out that she prefers public trans when possible, she drives but doesn't enjoy traffic (who does?).

Yzasserina likes this.
  9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Sure thing. Please circle back if any further questions pop up. :)

beac83 likes this.