Anyone know about Pure Storage?

Discussion in 'Other' started by sheepofblue, Aug 2, 2022.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

My IT people are approaching worthless. Pure support keeps throwing up canard after canard which I can logically swat aside. However every time they do the disaster goes down the road another week or two.

So anyone that knows. How can you get Pure to compress data. The data is a mix of binary and ascii. The front console shows 24% usage while the second shows one partition taking over 50% The claim 2.4:1 compression is happening but simple math shows it is basically zero.

Thanks for any constructive insight.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

AFAIK it's not a toggle switch, the unit is doing block level compression by default, I'd expect LZ4. There will be a quick test to see if the block is readily compressible, so true random data doesn't burn CPU time when it can't be compressed but these days I'd expect that threshold to be pretty tight. Take a sample of your dataset over to traditional storage and try compressing it to see just how compressible it actually is. Also remember when you're doing the math, 1TB of data takes more than 1TB of space when you're doing RAID5/RAID6 etc, you've got to account for the parity striping, or if mirroring for speed the full duplication, plus meta-data, etc. /r/storage would be a good place to check in with, I seem to recall other discussions about Pure's not hitting their marketing compression claims from others.

3. sheepofblue

Thanks the same data is coming off a NexSan and getting compressed. So we were transferring from NexSan->Pure in the same size (which had free space) and it is not even close to being able to fit. To be honest as the person waiting for it I would not recommend Pure (biased). So far they have all kinds of reasons it won't compress while their hardware claims it is happening. I was hoping for a magic we had a patch or setting. They have been promising this thing being on line for months.

Oh and they claim their own non-standard RAID that is 'better'

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, I feel your pain. Been through three different storage vendors now, and maintain my own 'in house' pure ZFS on OmniOS storage box as well. It's fun to show of it's perf at extremely low cost vs vendor of the week's offerings, but at the end of the day it's lacking the support contract to make it proper production.

5. sheepofblue

Yep and this is for government. A large amount of solid state memory. So far we have smoked the NexSan and the Pure never really made stand up.

6. AllenTodd

AllenTodd New Member

This is the last place I would have expected to find a high performance storage discussion! Our pures work fine (lots of iops, data reduction, etc), but I cannot say I am a fan and they are relegated to db use only -- the instantaneous cloning of production dbs for test/backup use is *very* nice. Depending on your application IO patterns and data volumes, there are lots of alternatives to pure and many are cheaper.

7. sheepofblue

Basically when they called we had our most worthless IT guy on ....OK that is not fair most of our guys are fantastic though one make pet rocks look smart. The latest is that it won't compress small text files well and we have a lot.....ooops the large ASCII files have no compression either. This all despite their console claiming 2.6:1 compression. I did extensive searches for directories and various files looking for a single file that was compressed...NADA. We are backing up and going another direction rather than installing more blades in the Pure. So a crapton of your tax dollars will be flushed. Good news is retirement keeps getting closer and closer so I can go hang with the Shelties and work on my bikes.

8. AllenTodd

AllenTodd New Member

ahh. you are using the flash blade appliance. we eval’d and rejected that. we only have the block storage.