1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here grow corn ?

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they get paid by the government to not use it?

2. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

It's field corn (used to make corn meal, flour, chips, syrup) and not sweet corn.

http://nebraskacorn.gov/issues-initiatives/your-food/field-corn-vs-food-corn/

Ra.Ge. Raptor and Sweatypants like this.
  3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Sweatypants likes this.
  4. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

learn something new every day.

5. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

I saw one quote that sweet corn production was less than 1% of total corn production.

6. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Yeah around here it's almost all field corn to feed cattle. They harvest/chop up the whole plant green, let it rot into "silage" and feed it to cows/pigs. Or they let it in the field until after the first couple of frosts and it turns brown. Then they harvest the cobs, dry them in a big propane dryer & store the dried kernels in silos also for feed.

I guess it's basically what "food" eats....

Oh yeah, don't accidentally steal some field corn and cook it up to eat. Tastes like shit.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah it does. My ex wife and I were on a bike ride one time and I snagged some. It was quite the ordeal, carrying them back on the bike and trying to be sneaky about it. Then we got home and cooked it all up and it was totally inedible.

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

It doesn't rot, it ferments. :crackup:

Not a farm boy I take it. :D

ChuckS likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

It's great corn.

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

:stupid:Back at ya!:D

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I love the smell of silage.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid:

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

This is what is called PPF. Piss Poor Farming. The only reason a farmer would hold off is because he isn’t capable to harvest, doesn’t have storage, hasn’t marketed his crop. There is absolutely no advantages gained by a farmer delaying harvest. :)

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

You can eat regular field corn. No worry about chemicals. Just make sure you eat it befor it reaches the dent stage of the kernels. It won’t be as good as sweet corn, but you can still eat it. Really no need too with the abundance of all the available genetically purposed sweet corn.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes you don’t harvest until the corn is dried down. The entire corn plant is basically dead and the ear is left to dry down. The more you can let Mother Nature dry the more you save on drying cost. SomI have no doubt they are harvesting the corn then doing field prep, disk, disk ripper, or turbo disc for preparation for next spring. It goes fast.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Sweatypants likes this.
  16. G 97

G 97 Garth

Normal field corn is used for animal feed, typically no.2 field. Corn meal, flour, chips, syrup, ethanol, even tho being field corn, have specific genetic traits that are specifically used for each purpose. Sugar/starch content makes a huge difference in use. So there is a specific variety that is purpose driven. So not all field corn is the same. :).

17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i mean... i'm not going hungry like i need to steal a corn to survive haha. if its gross, or even kinda ehh... i'll pass. its just i've been seeing it every other year for the past decade and had flashbacks of picking a fresh apple off an apple tree as a kid and just having a nature snack. but i was curious as to if it was even possible. how do i know when is the best time to grab a cob? last time i even consciously thought about it while riding thru, it seemed like it was too early and still little/young looking, then all of a sudden too late and gross.

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I was told it was similar to "winter wheat", hope everyone else harvested early and lost some yields.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Winter wheat actually grows and produces over winter. Corn does not. Unless the growing season is too short and the corn never reaches maturity but even then the corn isn’t going to produce anymore yield well before harvest time. Waiting longer still will not improve yield. The potential for yeild has already been eastablished at this point. And if the season is short there are early maturing varieties that can be planted where the corns growth is better matched with the length of grow season.

20. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Any of you corn growers know why they would net it? A guy at work took this while in Hawaii
    IMG_0162[1].JPG IMG_0161[1].JPG