1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here grow corn ?

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Jun 21, 2018.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

XFBO likes this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Most awesome shit ever. We have it growing right here. I'm giddy.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yeah,I dont really eat corn but once or twice a year at a bbq,but when I do its normally silver queen. Its good stuff.

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Most edible corn is excellent raw. I actually get mad at the wife when she cooks it all. I ALWAYS eat at least a cob or two raw. It’s like candy.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Man, I'm actually pumped that I NOW know what to look for at the store or farmers market, will have to have the lttle lady keep her eye out for that specific name too.

The corn she's been buying lately, I don't like at all.....def prefer the one I described over anything else. I couldn't even imagine eating this other stuff raw....:Puke:

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

They need to change that varieties name to DaveK. Cause that's him in a nutshell...

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Lol, I detasseled corn one summer for Pioneer. I lasted 1 or 2 days. Found out I am allergic to the pollen. I got a red rash all over and my eyes were swelling shut. Plus I was sneezing like crazy.

10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

tell me a tale corn nerds... there's a place i go mountain biking sometimes. the trails go all thru the woods surrounding a pretty big farm property, and a few trails even cut thru the fields. every other season or 3rd season it seems like they grow corn, but when they do, i feel like they just let it grow all season, and then it starts to rot... like they don't harvest it, then just plow it all down when it starts getting cold. why would a farm possibly do that? i was always curious.

also, is there any possible reason why i couldn't just take an ear to eat one time? i never have, i dunno if there's like inedible versions of corn used for other stuff, or what they spray on it or anything so i was always hesitant, but i kinda wanted to.

11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Lolol

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

he he he... Penis.

:D

13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

DB70AB30-E9FB-44E4-BF01-0659779AD404.jpeg I’ll just get mine from the grocery.

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I would assume it’s just a soil nutrient rotation deal.

Sweatypants likes this.
  15. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Corn is known to be a heavy feeder, not impossible but I have never heard it used as a green manure or cover crop. Growing corn in a rotation is pretty typical because it is such a heavy feeder. Here in western NY you rarely see more than 2 corn crops in a row on the same ground for instance. Since you say you only go sometimes are you sure you aren’t just missing the harvest? Depending on what the crop is there might be a pretty narrow window when it is harvested. It sounds like a fairly large field, my guess is it would be a variety other than “sweet” corn and probably nothing you would find enjoyable to eat but there is only one way to find out :). Doubtful there would be a chemical issue either by the time the corn would be ready to eat.

What type of plowing or tillage are they using when switching crop rotation? :)

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I've seen it happen around here where the farmers try to hold off harvesting and selling to try to get to market later. Normally around here, they'll plant corn 2 years in a row and then soybeans to get the soil nutrients back up to par.

Sweatypants likes this.
  17. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

For my first job I spent my high school summers hand picking sweet corn. Mostly silver queen. Kind of a right of passage for our high school guys. 7 days a week, work started at 4:30. Walked by the tractor and filled wagons of corn. Ended around noon. No one packed a lunch - everyone just ate raw corn. Fresh off the stalk. To date I have not had a better vegetable meal. Every time I drive by a field of it I want to stop quickly and grab an ear!

18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

That’s exactly how I picked up the habit.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If it weren't for the swollen eyes and sneezin', I'd say you just got slashed up by the leafs. They were brutal first thing in the morning all covered with dew and could, seemingly, cut into bare skin like a ripsaw.
    We used to ambush each other and see how many stalks we could throw the victim through. :D

20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

it is definitely a big farm. they also definitely do crop rotation, so like this year its beans right now. when i say "sometimes" i meant once or twice a week, so i feel like i'm not missing it? but i could be? i foreal feel like i've watched the corn cobs turn withery looking and brown while still on the husks, then one day its just plowed over and rando half eaten and rotting cobs and leaf garbage is all that's left on the ground. i've seen them out there with 3 big tractors in the staggered pattern in other years doing the harvesting of stuff, but every corn year it seems like its not being harvested until its past what would look like good eating. could it be being used for feed or something? or ethanol? the trail system is also named for the farm, and is a county park, AND the farm does like... doggie rescue/rehab for military vets... so i was thinking they probably have some good subsidies going for doing vet work and leasing land use to the park system, and they have cell towers, etc... so i wasn't sure how that works out with what crops you cultivate or how/if you sell stuff and to who...

yup. soybeans are there right now as we speak growing nicely.