1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here grow corn ?

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, there ya go, Tassel Ear.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

The American Farm Bureau Federation already does this.
    It’s riviting stuff. :D

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Use this on it. :D

7E71E2B4-4212-4A33-A942-38CCFDEA14E1.jpeg

Sabre699, Phl218 and ChemGuy like this.
  4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I feel there's a corn meme, with you and Gary Photoshop'd, in your near future.

:D

G 97 likes this.
  6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Well, he's basically masturbating his corn now, so it's deserved.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

if you're a lazy farmer, don't bother asking her to marry you

8. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Similar but different. :crackup:

image.jpeg

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'm simply amazed at the breadth of knowledge on this board. You can ask ANYTHING and have it answered. :D

G Dawg likes this.
  10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I asked the place where I bought the seeds, they wanted a picture. Asked a couple of local produce places, they had no idea.
    Come here and find the answer :)

XFBO likes this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

make sure to give your neighbors the best seeds too.

12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

The problem is the demand-driven supply of mostly only super-sweet variety white corn. It may be (super)sweet , but it hardly tastes like corn. I'm a low sugar yellow sweetcorn fan, and there is only one producer at the farmer's market (and his line is always the longest -- 5/$2)
    4 (5?) years of Ag school and Garth answers all problems with the same solution: Glyphosate. :D

MikeR and G 97 like this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Well,when this guy was one of your neighbors growing up it leaves a never ending impression. LOL
    https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0409/068.html#8da489e2d1b9

Try peaches and cream. It’s a good balance of the sweeter and “normal” sweetness.

14. About 200 acres a year, 550 this year actually.

Steeltoe likes this.
  15. condon66

condon66 Member well known

2,4-D makes my lawn purty.

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to ask this question since we now have a corn thread. My old neighbor (passed away) used to farm and grow incredibly delicious corn in his backyard. He used to get the seed from another farmer that he used to help plow on the side. This corn was more white than yellow and the kernels were relatively shallow....he used to tell my wife every season with the few ears he'd share, not a second over 4 minutes in boiling water. It was so damn tender and sweet that we could never find this quality of corn anywhere. He said it was a bit on the pricey side.......any of you corn experts have any idea what type it could have been??? I'd love to identify and grow some.

I hate that yellow corn with the big old deep kernels, I dunno, never really loved corn til I had my neighbors variety....any help id'ing it would be great!

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Silver Queen

Metalhead and XFBO like this.
  18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Well I'm not sure if I'll ever grow corn again. Quite the let down. I had no idea that I would only get 2 ears per plant.
    7 plants over and done with. However it was delicious. I ate a few cobs raw.

G 97 likes this.
  19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Oh sweet Jesus, that might be it!!! Thanks dude! Would ya know firsthand if the kernels on that variety are shallow or long???

This corn was so tender, you could literally eat it raw!

I don't recall, did you mention the variety you planted?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Shallow,white and sweet.Exactly how you described it. We have it all over the place here in southern maryland

XFBO likes this.