1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here grow corn ?

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Jun 21, 2018.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Hybrid sweet corn. I have peppers & tomatoes growing a few rows from the corn.
    As well as a bee farm a block away. Lots of bees flying around my crops in the cooler hours

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Once it gets below 100 outside I will take a picture and post it.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Who told you that? You can grow anything indoors given the correct conditions etc.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're getting an ear growing in the tassel that's also not too uncommon and not a big deal.

G Dawg likes this.
  6. G 97

G 97 Garth

It’s very unusual for a corn plant to generate more than one ear. When conditions are optimal and it’s really getting what it needs, it will grow another ear. But this is not the norm. It must be a goofy kind hybrid :)

Even with sweet corn you are better off to have only one ear and let that plant feed it. You will get bigger fuller ears this way. Not a bunch of smaller little ones. Interesting hybrid thou. You are going to have to put the nutrients and water to it in order for that plant to fill out six ears. That’s a lot of ears.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I stand corrected , 2 ears on the plant that are starting to mature.
    They were not all transplanted at the same time

I don't know what it is with this forum and uploading files.
    Sometime it works and like today I get get them to upload.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sweet corn is so cheap and readily available that I never grow it. I have a couple buddies that will pant an acre or two, so I just steal it from them.

In a garden setting corn is a space hog requiring quite a bit of space for each plant plus a lot of plants for proper pollination. To be honest, And I get it, it’s nice to produce your own stuff, but man this is one area where it’s just way easier and cheaper to go to the store or roadside stand.

zamboiv and G Dawg like this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

You will be good with two.

10. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

completely agree.
    Plus in my situation of a small garden and the sun angle, it will shade my other stuff so I don’t plant it.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

So can someone tell me the proper procedure for uploading files ?
    I click Choose file, then right click. I've also tried clicking close. Neither is working today

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

I have an Apple. LOl.

13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Same here. I only ever grow weird stuff, and popping corns. We've got so much corn grown around us it's easier to just buy it. It's cheap. Plus the raccoons always get it just before I do anyway. I'll be checking on it in the garden thinking a couple more days till I'll pick it, and then BAM stalk pulled over and corn gone lol. Everytime.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

:crackup:
    LOL, same with my raspberries. Just letting them become ripe, then next day birds pick them clean. :mad:

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

From the Google post

• Starting corn seeds indoors is not recommended.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I corn-detasseled for three years when I was a young teen. I don't think I ever saw an ear grow out of the same hole as a tassel. If I saw a stalk with only one ear, I figured it was defective...kinda like the runt of the litter. Otherwise, they all seemed to have two and three. With larger examples, four was not uncommon.
    Pioneer Hybrid...good times.

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Someone e-mail me blueridgeperformance @gamil.com
    So I can have you post these pictures.
    I've tried numerous time now and they won't load.

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I feel like you need your own "The State of Corn" thread, with reoccurring notes, FAQs, polls, interviews, live video feeds and hot topics within the industry.

:D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member