1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here from Greece? Or have ridden in Greece?

Discussion in 'General' started by G2G, Aug 8, 2018.

1. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I'm getting married in Greece and having my honeymoon there. For our honeymoon we rented motorcycles Honda VFR1200x's. Looking for some good roads to ride on the mainland. Renting the bikes in Athens and heading out from there. I did find a site that was kinda dated but it does sw some good roads and I think I might use some of these roads. We will have 5 full days to explore and ride. Any suggestions?

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...ce-__3484.html

Ducti89 and Wingnut like this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Our parent company is in Greece. After hearing the stories of they way they drive and seeing some video on the interwebs with Greek accents all in them I would say you are likely not to survive unscathed.

But your getting married so life is over anyway....have a good time. :D

5axis, sbk1198, Phl218 and 4 others like this.
  3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Did you already visit Greece?

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've driven rental cars in Greece... didn't seem any different than any other country. No problems at all.

I'll be riding my Africa Twin down to Greece next month. Looking forward to it. Lots of beautiful mountain roads just outside of Athens.

G2G likes this.
  5. G2G

G2G I feel the need

This is the area we will be riding for 2 of the days. Need to find some other roads for then next 3 days after here.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Vol...2b9e6c0!2m2!1d22.9761873!2d39.3820527!1m0!3e0

6. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Nope we are leaving the 30th of August and will have the bike sept 11th through sept 15th

7. Ra.Ge. Raptor

cool, I'll contact some friends from Athens. I'll have some great routes for you ,guys. If you or @motion happen to get by Thessaloniki or Northern Greece, I'd be happy to meet you.

G2G likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You live in Greece??

9. Ra.Ge. Raptor

yup

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

We went there a few years ago and if you find time, go over to Santorini as well. Our entire group rented scooters and quads over there and rode around. That was one of the highlights of the entire vacation.

I loved how friendly the Greek people were, and that they genuinely wanted you in their country visiting.

cha0s#242 and G2G like this.
  11. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Yep getting married in Mykonos and rented a villa for a week. Will also be in santorini for a couple of days right afterwards. Then headed to athens after that to grab the bike and go on our honeymoon riding.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

what's your facetubes? i have a rider friend down there. he's a squid on an R1 though. can hook you up

13. G2G

G2G I feel the need

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Cool! Here is my general route for Sept 18 - Oct 2:

sept.jpg

MachineR1, scottn, G2G and 4 others like this.
  15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That has been my experience as well. All the people I have worked with for the last 15 years are genuinely good people.

16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

We stayed at this place on the Pelion Peninsula and the roads all around that area were nothing but mountain switchbacks and amazing views. It's an out of the way area and very laid back.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Α...018-09-16!8m2!3d39.3272207!4d23.1497098?hl=en

This place was awesome and felt like the end of the earth. I can only imagine it was about 1000 years ago!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Τ...f1507dfbe!8m2!3d39.0926822!4d23.0691433?hl=en

Thessaloniki is an awesome city and much better than Athens. The area just east of Thessaloniki is awesome too. We drove out to this point and had a whole beach to ourselves.............

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...255b0ebe0!8m2!3d39.9615509!4d23.3634996?hl=en

G2G likes this.
  17. Ra.Ge. Raptor

It seems you'll enter Greece from Serres, the Greek city of motorsports. The only real race track exists there.
    We can keep in touch and meet there. I live 100 miles to the east, in the city of Xanthi.

18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Where's the greek fella that did the manx last year,then got married soon after? He was selling the ambulance race hauler awhile back.

19. Ra.Ge. Raptor

@Olympus Racing . He might see the notification

20. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Lived in glyfada for a couple years a good while back. Imho Greek drivers are some of the worst. The older Greeks were very friendly. The younger Greeks were very unfriendly to Americans. In those years the kke was car bombing a bit. Greece was one of the most corrupt governments I’ve ever seen. So long as you’re outside of Athens it’s much nicer. Been on that ferry between Patras and Brindisi a ton of times. Good memories.