1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had a hip arthoscopy?

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Oct 25, 2018.

1. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

The way I read your issue, seems to me you need more in the stretching department then heavy weight training.
    Try these hip stretches:
    1-
    And I would definitely do both sides and make sure to breath, as she never mentions it. Also, no need to do the last 3, just stick to the 4 first ones she shows.
    2-
    Again, no mention of breathing but please do so, as it will help a lot.

There are more intense stretches but I'll keep those one for more flexible people.
    I can't stress this enough, that stretching is extremely important and the more I see young athletes go, the less they are flexible. I teach martial arts and ohhh boy... many 2 x 4s in my class and others I've been to :oops:

You could also look at moving your rearsets higher and closer.

Good luck in getting better and being able to ride the bike of your choice.

Food for thought, for those contemplating surgery:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    BigBird and Senna like this.
  2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Hey thanks man. I'll take a good look at those stretches. I've been doing the ones below fairly regularly, and have found that they do help. My PT also has some specific exercises and lacrosse ball techniques that I am making a habit of.

What makes you say that higher rearsets would be better? I have found that putting them lower and all the way seems to provide the best relief.

Also, that YT vid is pretty spot on. I was lucky to have a pretty good PT who warned me not to tie too much emotion to my MRI and X-ray results, and not to let it dictate how I feel and how limited I actually am. Even with his warning, it still happened and I did not take PT very seriously last year as I was pretty set on having the surgery.

I *may* still end up doing surgery at some point, but in the meantime I'm going to give less invasive options a shot and/or a bike swap to see if that can mitigate or (hopefully) resolve the issue.

https://gmb.io/hip-mobility/

3. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

When your feet are higher in the pegs, your hip is in flexion... not ideal when you have hip tightness but once you don't have the tightness any longer, bringing them up will help your hip work even less, as the weight you put on your pegs, is less then if the pegs where lower...
    NOW... mind you I am 5'7" and legs are not too log. So having said that, if you are taller, then maybe lower will be best for you.

I too have hip problem (left side) and am working on it, to not get surgery. My problem occurs when I kick with my left leg and when I then stand for many hours at the same time, as my work demands me to stand up 8-12h a day. But I'm not 27 either... So I keep stretching even more now than before.

Keep on doing your exercises as you seem to see a slight change... the more you do, the more I'm sure it'll even get better. I do hope so for you.