1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone ever do the Bandit-1200 motor/750-slingshot chassis Build.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by SpeedyE, Nov 19, 2020.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Friend has this in pieces, claims to have ALL the parts for the conversion. No bodywork.
    I also have a 1991 gsxr Roller, no bodywork, no engine/carbs/pipe.
    Wondering is this is worth the time/build. What kinda power? any downsides? First i heard of a 7/12 was when he told me he had one , and then want to sell it to me.

I am also looking at a 1991(?) nsr250M21, buddies bike. a lot of miles, a lot of $.
    I had it in my garage for a couple weeks, and sat on it, it was SOOOOOO light. I thought that would be a good TD bike. My close friend talked me out of it, but it is still in the back of my mind.

I have a pair of 1986 gsxr's, unfortunately, i spent my mom's money, am way upside down in them, and need to clean them up and try and get her $ back. I cant keep/ride them....she needs her $......so that is a upcoming winter project, but w/out a prize.....will never get to ride/TD/Vintagerace them.

If I get the green light in life (waiting on scans), I would like to do trackdays next year and/or do some vintage racing. My brain/body/eyes/balance/etc are not calibrated to my gsxr05/1K anymore, which i will just putt around on the street now.....just use it to be able to socialize, and get me past my problems.

I dunno....bored/depressed, trying to find motivation....trying to find a goal.....so I keep moving forward, so i get out of bed.

TY

Shenanigans likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Shouldn't be much of a problem. I may be interested in you 91 roller or any slingshot 88-92 also any slab side 86-87 750 or 86-88 1100 stuff you may have

SpeedyE and Buell1965 like this.
  4. Doc_Rot

Doc_Rot Active Member

I've done B12 in '86 750. It was pretty easy. the biggest issue for me was getting clearance for the air filters with the frame. I had to make some custom air filters to get the clearance, i did brace my frame but i think there would be clearance issues regardless.

a B12 with a free flowing muffler, jet kit and ignition advance will be putting about 120 at the wheel. You can swap the head and cams and make that more like 140-150 if you like. The bandits are a great street engine, not so much for racing.
    IMG_1448.jpeg

tzrboy, TLR67, rcmike917 and 3 others like this.
  5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Gary

I have to go to Eric’s at some point in the next few weeks to drop a motor and some parts, I can likely help get the stuff back as far as the Indiana border (Vincennes).

Let me know if you need a hand.

M

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I got to ride a street bike that was being converted to a drag bike. It had the B1200 motor and flatslides, but was still stock wheelbase. It would spin anytime I wanted. It was entertaining to play on.

TurboBlew, Banditracer and SpeedyE like this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

8. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I don’t get why you’d put that motor into an 1100. The 1100 motors were easy to build and get reliable hp out of.

9. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Because the 1200 motor isn't as expensive to buy after you nuke the 1100. It has great grunt also

tzrboy and ducnut like this.
  10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I've ridden a Katana 600 with a b12 motor in it. A nice amount of grunt in a pretty comfy streetbike. I only rode it for about 10-15 minutes, but there was a very noticeable difference between that, and my 600 Kat at the time. I started gathering parts to build my own from the ground up on an 88 600 frame, but racing intervened around that time, and like a black hole sucked up all my time and money. Sold it all to fund my new addiction. I still have the tank hanging in my garage, and I think that's all I have left. Free to a good or questionable home.

While not strictly bandit related, there's probably all the info you'd ever need to do a swap regarding those oil burners, and more over at Katriders.com. Haven't been there in years, but there used to be a few good knowledgeable people over there.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. Doc_Rot

Doc_Rot Active Member

When i was looking for an engine for my 7/12 build i could not find a complete 1100 engine for less than $1000 and then it needed a top end rebuild at the minimum, nobody was kind to those engines. However, I was able to get a running/driving complete bandit 1200 for $400. after I parted the donor bike out I made $200 and got an engine for my build.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    SpeedyE and Shenanigans like this.
  12. fastedyamaha

Isn’t the 1200 block the same as the 1100 block?

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. Doc_Rot

Doc_Rot Active Member

the cases are the same but IIRC correctly the main differences are B12 has bigger bore, lower compression, different cams, different transmission, different clutch. If you swap the head and cams, and get a clutch to handle the massive power increase they can be just as good if not better than a 1127.

Stay away from the Katana 1100 engine with the helical cut gears.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    SpeedyE likes this.
  14. fastedyamaha

That’s pretty much what I thought so I did not know if it was cheaper to build the 1200 block to gsxr state of tune or not