1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else into powered paramotoring?

Discussion in 'General' started by Prov431, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

I've found this to be a great sport - in fact I gave up road riding for it since Tampa, FL roads are a death trap.
    Been flying for almost a year now - I'd say it's just as good, if not better than dragging a knee!
    As an added benefit, the darn thing fits in a Mercedes Coupe when broken down :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cha0s#242 likes this.
  2. 418

418 Expert #59

NO!

You're f@cked in the head. Why would anybody in their right mind do this? You got a death wish or some shit?

3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Where do you fly? I am in Wesley Chapel, Fl and have them over my house all the time. Big group also takes off from a field near me and and they do some crazy acrobatic stuff there too.

Prov431 likes this.
  4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Oh hell yeah! Low and slow with the best window seat ever

Prov431 likes this.
  5. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid Well-Known Member

YES! I'm just waiting for the budget to come around.
    What are your thoughts on the blackhawk packages? I'm liking that they are a one stop shop for everything including flight training.
    How was the learning curve for you?
    What are you're thoughts on tandem flights?

6. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

It's actually a rather safe sport...not saying you can't get hurt or killed but a little common sense goes a long way.
    I fly in Zepherhills or Lake Wales usually. I've sseen some folks around Wesley Chapel but I haven't been able to track them down and meet up yet.
    That's the beauty of this sport - go anywhere and fly - and once you're up you can cruise, get silly, go high or skim the ground....too awesome.

418 likes this.
  7. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Gotcha. I work in Zephyrhills, so have seen quite a few airborne there too.

8. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

Everyone will have an opinion on different products so I'm not going to attempt to sway you towards one brand or another. I would only suggest that you do some solid research, pick a competent instructor and keep in mind the need for future support through whoever it is you train with. That being said, Blackhawk does offer a good venue and their products are well known. I would recommend that once you decide on an instructor, get the opportunity to fly and handle various brands before making a committment to purchase your own rig.
    I personally went with Air Conception - the biggest reason being they're the lightest and have a solid record. I've worn 90 lb motors on my back, that gets old really fast. The Air Conception is 42 lbs without fuel....makes a massive difference in all aspects of your flying day.
    As for learning curve - read, watch videos, go out and talk to people doing it, then take the class. I trained for 6 days on instructor owned equipment, then decided on my motor and purchased after I was PPG2 rated.
    Don't fall into the scams out there for free training, no certifications and etc...their are plenty. Even though this sport is not "regulated" the WPPA does have a list of professional instructors which will teach you with an approved syllabus. If you want to take part in future fly ins, etc. most venues will want you rated PPG2 by WPPA.
    I took my training in Lake Wales, FL with Aviator PPG and would highly recommend....top notch shop!

The_R1_Kid likes this.
  9. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

FUCKING SICK BRAH!

I've always wanted to do this. If you went used where possible what would it take to put together a good setup? How much for a full training course? There's a school up in Antelope Valley somewhere I think, they offer rides with an instructor. I'd like to check it out.

10. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Looks scary as hell. Also looks fun as hell. :eek:

Prov431 likes this.
  11. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

New motors are anywhere from $5000 - $15000, new wings are in the $3600 range, training is all over the board but a WPPA recognized school should be in the $2500 range. Buying used is always an option - schools rotate their gear a lot so there's a good place to look - as well as forums, ebay, craigslist, fly ins and anywhere people fly. Wings typically last 300 hrs if cared for, 2 stroke motors need attention too - so if buying used motor be aware.

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

This is a wierd coincedence!! I just re-watched "Mission Everest". That was EPIC what Bear Grylls did on one of those.

Prov431 likes this.
  13. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

That looks wicked fun.

14. britx303

Okay.....my wife said she supports my racing 100%!! But said "NO F####NG WAY!!!" to doing this. Sorry....I tried:D

15. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You need to trade in the wife. ;) Personally, my wife knows that I will never stop doing this kind of stuff so she doesn't try. As long as I'm meeting my obligations she doesn't discourage me. I will be riding 2 wheels, jumping out of and off things, and flying things until I die. (Probably from one of the aforementioned activities. Oh well.)

This shit is fucking awesome sauce. If I recall, there was a photographer who traveled all of Africa on one of these setups. There was a documentary on it, which is where I first heard of this sport. He spent a couple years traveling and filming. There's probably some fucking nutbar out there that's flown one across all the continents.

16. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

A guy In an ultralight paramotor? (Parachute with frame mounted fan, unlike the pics in the op) buzzed me while I was running at the park today (little Mayberry, Gwinnett). I'd have gotten pics but i was busy running. I've seen him before, but never so close up, it looks like a blast.

17. britx303

You missed the part where I said my wife supports the racing 100%:) She actually took me to a dealer one occasion,acting like she wanted to see if I could test ride a bike that I really wanted. She had already signed the papers the day before and had the whole dealership in on the scheme. She drove 5 hours to go get my FZR400,4 hours to go get my H2, 3.5 hours to get my rd350...........the list is about 15 bikes long that she got for me. If she doesnt like the paramotoring....pfft, Im not bothered one bit:p

18. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I went up a few weeks ago, one of my snowmobiling buddies has a two seater. Very cool stuff. I was all about it until I saw the price tag on the one he had . Maybe someday

19. gmann750

gmann750 Well-Known Member

I gave up road racing to fly as well and I have wanted to try a paraglider. This is what keeps me aloft currently.

Attached Files:

20. Christian157

Christian157 Well-Known Member

I have had a freshbreeze for about 8 years now. Don't get to fly as much since my daughter was born but still fun. My regret was not buying a trike for it. So much easier to take off. I hate running blind and leaning backwards to check my lines and chute. My backpack unit weighs 57lbs. Sans gas.