1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone actually come back?

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I sort of came back. From 05-09 I was at the track semi-regularly. I had a few fancy farkles on the bikes, and I actually cared about my laptimes. Then life got in the way. I got married in late 06, and while my wife didn't mind too much, she didn't enjoy spectating nearly as much as I enjoyed riding. She would do two-up sessions with me when they were offere though, which we both enjoyed.

[​IMG]

Kids came along, and the next thing I knew, it was 2013 and I hadn't been to the track in 4 years, so I went to Barber for a weekend. Then it was 2016 and I hadn't been in another 3 years, so I went to Hallett for a day. Then in 2017 my wife went back to school to finish her degree, so me running off and leaving her at home with both kids for a weekend would have been a bit rude. Then in 2019 she got into grad school in Tulsa, which required moving. Then The Rona descended upon mankind, complete with the kids doing "virtual school." Even though we live in Tulsa and Hallett is only 45 minutes from home, I still couldn't make it because my days off from work had to correlate with my wife's days off between school and work so one of us could stay home with the kids.

Last year (2021) was the first time I've done more than one weekend at the track in 12 years. This year I'm planning on going more, but probably not as much as I used to go. It's still fun for me, and as an introvert I definitely love the "myself" time, but it's not as much of a priority as it used to be.

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I'm having the same dilemma. I sold 3 very well setup GSXR 's last year, 1 street GSXR, and a WR450F. Haven't raced in 10 yrs, but was still doing trackdays 6 times a year.

I have an '18 RSV4 RF LE for the track that is an absolute blast. Tuono and HD Night rod special for the street, and a polaris RZR turbo.

I always go to the track solo but always meet up with 'track' friends. My longtime roadracing friends are out of racing and many have the SxS's for 10 yrs now and that's where i spend most of my wknds. Load up the RV and head for the TN mountains/KY hills.

I may take the yr off from the track all together. I'm looking to buy land/build house/buy house if this bubble ever explodes. I start to think 'what if i get hurt' and my home building aspirations are put on the backburner for awhile. At this stage of the game, not sure i want to risk my not so distant future plans. But, i'm a little concerned if i take a year off, the ember might go out completely.

kentucky.jpg

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If you truly love something, set it free.

It'll come back if it's meant to be.

4. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

2003 R6 45k miles. Have a new set of plastics for it in the basement. 1st bike, never raced it, a lot of track miles. Tore it down to the crank at one point.

2014 Ninja 400, 3k miles. Wife’s bike she say she won’t sell because ‘it’s not worth it’.

2013 WR250.

2005 TTR125.

2015 R1 street and race. Have more in aftermarket parts and race glass with D-swens paint (x2) than I purchased it for.

2015 BMW GSA. Been off and on road, took some adventure riding schools with it. Didn’t start my truck for 3 months after I got it.

39, no debt. (House is covered —i.e. I can pay it today with money from my taxable account, currently on a 15 @ 2%, so arbitrage on that).

Insurance and personal property tax is all the bikes are ‘costing’ us. (Not a strain).

Taxes paid for the year, so will punt for now.