1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody use racetec tires?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bones74, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Bones74

Bones74 Official Back Marker.

I have a couple of new sets and I am a bit leary. How are they? I have a day coming up and I don't have a clue what to expect. Thanks :)

2. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

ummm... as a track day tire... pretend its a slightly used Diablo Corsa... not a corsa pro, a corsa.... ive had a few sets, and id say they were fairly inconsistent... one set id have confidence, the other not so much... Be leary of pushing them to the edge is i know from a nice little highside that theres a steep drop off between "WHEEEE!" and "AHHHHHHHH!"

3. Bones74

Great:( This will be interesting. Thanks

4. divein6

divein6 Well-Known Member

Smokes is right.. Plus, they are good in the begining but go off with no warning. Plus. in my expeience with them I would not race on them. Do not use them on hot days or with tire warmers. They can not handle the heat.

5. Bones74

Even worse, I use warmers and usually slicks. Sh#t:down: Thanks

6. Size9

Size9 Well-Known Member

I have a set too. What pressure on a R1 at Road Atlanta do you guys recomend?

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Sell'em on ebay and get something else.

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I tried, nobody wanted them. :(

9. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

I've had great experience with the Racetecs but then I don't have the white plates.
    I'll buy them off ya real cheap :D

.....seriously.

10. VTR1000SP2

VTR1000SP2 under construction

I'm no racer but I've been trackday riding as a hotshoe on the Racetecs for 3 years.. no complaints!! The guys I know personally that are at least 2 seconds a lap faster than I haven't said anything bad about them. Not all of them use tire warmers.

11. Bones74

:up: Thanks for the info guys.

12. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain that all they are is a pirelli with a different thread pattern and, I at least, have not heard of anyone complaining about the pirellis (aside from the price...)

13. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I don't use them myself anymore after a couple bad experiences. 1. A a close friend of my had the front start to separate on him, luckinly he noticed the vibration and came in. There was a nice bubble on one side on the tire. 2. A while after that I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and try them myself at a trackday. I didn't run warmers (someone mentioned the heat issue to me also) and I had a couple slides during the first session but figured that it was just cold tires, so I took it easy. The second time out, things started to work a little better and I picked up the pace at little. The track is primarily left turns. As soon as I hit the first right at a resonable pace, the rear let go with no warning. It was my fault for probably not getting enough heat in the right side, but it still ruined my confidence in the tire (track temp the second time out was in the mid 80's). I have run plenty of Pirelli without any issue, so there must be some kind of difference...

14. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I don't know about the newer generations of tires, but for a long time the Metzeler Racetechs were the same tires as Pirelli race tires (what you said).

15. R1RJ

R1RJ Well-Known Member

Tire fire! Sometimes you got to sit back grab a beer and let'em burn. Just let'em burn. Safest solution!

16. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

Or you can give/sell for cheap to me :D

17. canalroadracing

canalroadracing Well-Known Member

Pirelli
    ran out of 190's at Nelson a few years back and sold the Metzeler Race Tecs.
    Said they were exactly the same as Corsa Pro's. Lots of people ran them with no problems! The were selling Pirelli fronts and Racetec rears:up:

18. 1literduceater

1literduceater Well-Known Member

I am going to try these for the first time this Thursday. Set tire warmers same temp as my Pir Super C's?

19. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Yeppers.

I've ran them at Jennings when I was running 30's (as in 30.2's, etc.)...ran 4 days with no tire warmers, and no problems....but that was running 30's. :D

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Leon said that they are made in the same factory as Pro's, using the same mold, and that the only difference was that one said Pirelli's and the other said Metzler. I still have them. :( I will probably just burn them up this weekend unless I can find someone that wants them.