1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody thinking about the 450 Supersingle class?

Discussion in 'General' started by racerfranz, Nov 27, 2007.

1. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

When I first saw the announcement regarding this proposed class, I thought, boring slow little singles...( as I raced big fast singles alot in the past...)but it's looking very interesting, and possibly very affordable now.

I was curious how many of you out there are going to this, and what brands, models you will be using...I might just do this too.

2. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

If I had ANY cash at all, I'd be on a KTM!!! But I'm broke.:down:

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

You want affordable? Buy a used SV650 and run multiple classes.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think about it a lot if that helps any.

5. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Thinking about it, Rules look like fun, Not that affordable, looks like fun, we have the bikes and parts to build one......still thinking about it

maybe if they let the Aprilia in....

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I have been thinking alot about it.

You wouldn't have to byuld a really expensive model for the first year out. I did a random test on parts and I found a complete traxxion front end for less than $500.00. Used bodywork for $400.00, a Yamaha 450 for $3500. The only thing over the cost of putting it together was modifying the shock and the wheels. Supermoto wheels are cheaper than the Marchesini's. The exhausts are about $500, plus a little rerouting at your muffler shop.

For a little under $6k, it could be done. Pretty inexpensive by today's route.

7. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

If someone buys me a bike I'll do it!

:)

8. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

for $6k you can still buy an sv650, win enough contingency money back to pay for it, and still run the suzuki cup at year end.

i think it'll be a good class for younger riders trying to gain experience, but we already have the mini's class, and those guys are making the transition well.

9. Silo Pete

I struggle with the fact that the bike, with me as a rider, will weigh about 420lbs. When I look at the power to weight, I think the class will favor the younger, lighter riders (like the USGPRU classes). For a 185lb guy, I do not think I can run up front. Podium? Yes. Win. I doubt it.

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

and it'll be similar to me winning clubman, or d-sbk....next thing you know, people will be razzing you for beating the kids. :D

11. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I think the bikes will be super cool, really fun to watch, and _really_ fun to ride (if you're small). I also think that "affordable" will be a strong word. I think that there will be frequent and expensive motor rebuilds by a large percentage of riders, and I think that for the cost of building one of these things you could buy an already-prepped SV and race it for an entire season.

I think that these bikes/this class is really great for many reasons, but I don't see economy being among them.

12. Chip

Chip Registered

I think it could be a great class and it could be made more affordable than it is.....a few simple rules to cut cost. I'll wait til Mongo comes out with the final rules package. I am sure that WERA will get it right.

13. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Who said racing was inexpensive?

14. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Inexpensive is relative. I just built an `06 gsxr750 to race and track ride, I know the tire bill is gonna kill me, but that's life. I was mostly gauging interest, and after about an hour of reflection... I don't wanna do any more of that push start crap! :D

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Nope, they only razz you for taking a newish SV650 and spending the bucks to sleeve it down to run clubman.

16. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

One of the central themes around this class has consistently been that it's an affordable alternative to...something less affordable (not sure what). I love the bikes...drool over 'em even. But, unless aftermarket crank-and-rod assemblies and valves are allowed, I just can't imagine that the motors are going to stay together w/o lots of rebuilds.

I hope I'm wrong...the idea that you can tip a dirtbike forward and do a fork-and-wheel swap and *poof* you have an ultra-cool psuedoGP bike is pretty neat.

17. Silo Pete

You beat up kids?

OMG!

:D

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

i dont understand people's obsesion with needing aftermarket crank/rod assemblies and valves. have you any experience with roadracing a 450?

i have been roadracing my 450 for the last 2 years. i race it at Brainerd, where i am WFO 90% of each lap. the track is just over 3 miles in length and out sprints are 8 laps. i've even done a trophy dash(think solo) which was 14 laps. i have roadraced at VIR and MAM also, and have never had a failure nor even had a valve clearance go out of spec. i have use yamaha parts for the crank/rod assemblies and stock valves.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

They read it on the internet.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

pretty much.