1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody ride a 1098s?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bones74, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Bones74

Bones74 Official Back Marker.

What do you think of it and do you race it? Looking seriously at it. Thanks :)

2. AZScorpion

AZScorpion Well-Known Member

I think your success / enjoyment will depend on what you're currently riding and your style.

Case in point: While I can't speak for the 1098S, I can say my going from a fairly modified 2003 R1 to a tweeked 2005 999S was a huge change good & bad. I was used to high revving I4, winding it out, nothing down low and "average" suspension (Race Tech).

The 999S was more about the low/mid range & shifting earlier. Suspension when set up correctly was significantly better IMO. I installed an STM slipper clutch that took a lot of getting used to. Overall it took me a year to really jell with the bike. I don't race - just trackdays.

3. AZScorpion

AZScorpion Well-Known Member

Would I do it again? yes. I think it made me a better rider. I was more conscious of the little things I was or wasn't doing correctly. Gear selection, getting on the throttle, suspension setup, braking markers and corner speed. I learned a great deal about myself and bikes in general.

4. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Yes, I've raced one for the last two seasons at Miller. It's an outstanding bike with tons of potential. That being said, whether I'd recommend it would depend on what classes you wanted to run, and what bikes you'd be up against. In open twins classes there really is nothing better (other than a 1098R, or now the 1198s). In an open class against I-4's you'll have fun but probably get beat unless you're just a far superior rider.

The bike takes some setting up to get it to turn the way you want, and I definitely recommend suspension upgrades. They're not cheap to maintain or crash.

A beautiful, brilliant bike that is great fun to race and very competitive, if you can afford it.

5. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Bones I race a Buell 1125 (the one with the Rotax motor) as a novice/amateur. Unless you're looking to spend a lot extra to race I would encourage you to look at the Buell. It cost 12K vs 20K for the Ducati. I replaced the plastic with fiberglass for about $600 (from Grand Stand Designs and Airtech) which you would probably want to do on a Duc to preserve those expensive stock body parts. Race brake pads $170.

On the track the 1098's that I've seen can't pull away from the 1125. All the experts that ride it brag about how it handles. All the AMA pros I've talked to say that the engine is bullet proof reliable from what they've seen last year. Also check the results from last weekends race at Fontana.

I understand about the Ducati reputation. But I also understand about Ducati reliability and repair costs (neighbor has a 996 & 1098). Buell parts are relatively cheap.

Buell has a racing parts department (Henry Duga and Jamie) that answers the phone every day. They're there to help you race. I've heard about the support you get from Ducati. You can also learn a lot more on the 1125 and race forums at BadWeatherBikers.

Of course I'm biased. But I think rightly so. For HWT the Buell is a reasonable choice. It just doesn't have the sex appeal of the Ducati.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW I'm going to let the 1098's into 750 Superbike classes in 2009 but in Superstock trim.

7. duggram

Are you also going to let the 1125 in with the 600's like AMA does?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No way in hell. I saw a couple of them this weekend - way too fast for our 600 stuff. Go look at wera.mylaps.com for some times...

Now I may allow them in other classes, but I need to see more of what they'll do so no plans for 09 right now.

9. duggram

Can't wait for Vegas! I hope those same 1125s that were at Fontana show up. I'm the only 1125 at my local track. I want to see what they've done to their bikes.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me too - they were running within a second of Michael Beck's 600 times in heavy Novice traffic. Granted the rider is really good but still...

11. werawest27

werawest27 Member

The rider helps, for sure. :) Higbee broke a couple of the several year old Ducati 999R twins class lap records at Willow last year with the 1125. He smoked the WSMC guys on the 1098 Ducs (both standard ones and one or two R models) in '08.

That said, the couple seasons we rode regularly on Ducati (not the new ones, old 749 and 999R's) were awesome and a great experience. I think the AZScorp guy is right...if it suits your style, and IF one wants to spend that kind of money as bwhip wrote. And be prepared to fix/repair 'em.

As far as reliability, we ran a ton of races from '04 thru '07 on two different 749R-04's and a 999R-05. No probs at all. O' course, that may have been the exception rather then the rule, but from what we saw the newer bikes are a lot more reliable then the ol' 749/916/996 models. I think the older ones helped develop that bad rep on reliability.

$0.02 follows:
    Bones, the Buell is an awesome deal and great bike. But if your dream is to race a Ducati...

do it. :up:

12. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Hey Duggram, check out the sidepods for the 1125 that flexi-glass sells. A friend of mine developed them and Buell has bought the design from him. They got 3HP by changing the bodywork and also kept the bike from vapour locking. I think that the RMR guys are going to have some trouble this year if they don't run that bodywork. Looks like they are still using the OEM side pods.

13. duggram

Focker, I got em. But I didn't get the ram-air-cooling type. I still have stock fans for cooling. Gotta finish the bodywork and painting before Las Vegas!

[​IMG]

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not getting the aftermarket stuff is good if you wanna run HWT SS....

15. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Make sure you reverse the fans....

16. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Only an Amercan manuf. could make a twin look so damn, well, fat. (And I do mean eff-ay-tee, not pee-h-ay-tee)

17. tylerl

tylerl Well-Known Member

I know you asked about a 1098, but just for another opionion, I raced a 848 this year. The year prior I was on an I-4 600. It took a little getting used to the way the engine made power, but handling is far superior IMO. About maintaince, I had to crashes and it crashed very well... minimal damage. Also put about 1900 track miles on the motor and still don't need the values adjusted yet. Get a 1098 and race it!!

18. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

Why does it need fans?

19. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Or you could get always get a smokin' deal on a former Larry Pegram 749R/848 (currently available in the classified section), that will enable you to race more classes, be VERY competitive, and save a whole bunch of money.... :cool:

20. Be Evil

Be Evil The soft dawn of pum

What about 1198's