1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody Grow Anything?

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

This is General, so we'll keep talk of the other stuff we grow for the Dungeon...................anyways, got a bunch of peppers and one tomato plant this year (I don't eat tomatoes and all the plants were free from somebody at work who had too many).

3X Habanero
    1X Jalapeno
    1X Cherry Pepper
    2X Thai Hot Pepper
    1X California Wonder (basically a generic green pepper)
    1X Shishito Pepper
    1X (forget which kind) Tomato

There's a gallon of perlite covered with ~4 gallons of potting soil in each bucket. If you're wondering why the buckets are covered in a shiny reflective surface, they were repurposed and used to be used in an indoor grow ;) The dripper in the middle was also repurposed and frankly I haven't even hooked it up - although I love to automate all my indoor grows, I've really enjoyed hand watering the plants every day or two - it's quite relaxing :D

I'm planning on building a decently large garden for next year and growing my own lettuce/zucchini/cucumbers, etc., in addition to all the peppers I currently grow.

Attached Files:

TheGrouchyCat and G 97 like this.
  2. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I have the following growing in our garden:

10 heirloom tomato plants (aunt ruby and pineapple)
    2 yellow cherry tomato's
    6 Sicilian eggplant
    6 cubanelle peppers
    6 bell peppers (mixed colors)
    4 burpless cucumbers
    3 Kirby cucumbers for pickles

Also have red leaf and romaine lettuce, chive and a shitload of basil.

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I've got ghost peppers, habaneros, cow horn peppers and tomatoes growing in 5 gallon pots. Have window boxes full of herbs growing along the deck railing where they hang. I wish I had all day Sun but with the woods behind the house it's only from 2 or 3 till till 7 or so. They still put out pretty good.

Why the pearlite on the bottom? I always just mixed it up really good.

4. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

do kids count?

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Only if they get eaten.

TheGrouchyCat and motoracer1100 like this.
  6. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

We didn't do a garden this year and plan to rip out our raised beds for tilling the ground next year. Typically have done tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, jalapenos, zucchini, green beans, and various herbs. Will see what next year is once I get the garden in shape this fall.

7. SuddenBraking

The buckets that I'm using have a drainage hole about 2" from the bottom (that was the drain line - they were all plumbed together), so there'd be totally saturated soil if I didn't use something lighter like Perlite down there. The buckets were setup on a DTW drip system in my basement running 100% perlite before they were repurposed. Like I said above, I'm not very skilled in growing in dirt - I've got E&F systems, LP aero, DWC, HP aero (both pneumatic and air assisted)..........basically, I'm not a fan of using media :D

rocalotopus and cpettit like this.
  8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Growing tired.

Growing old.

Does that count?

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

40 tomato's (various heirlooms), couple tomatillos, 20 various peppers, 4 rows of onions, acorn, and butternut, spaghetti squash, cucumbers, couple different kinds of peas, beets, kale, and cabbage. Rainbow chard, watermelon, and broccoli.

Usually grow a bunch of beans and corn, but didn't have time to get them in. Might still have a crack at beans, but it's too late for the corn. Also have lots of garlic, lettuce, and other herbs in a smaller front garden we call the salad garden.

Been eating salads for the last 2 weeks, and the peas and peppers are starting to come in. Tomato's will be coming soon, and then we'll be canning every couple of nights....

The cabbage (any brassica's) I grow usually gets infested with worms so I give them to a buddy to feed his chickens. In return he gives me a chicken or 2. So I usually refer to the row of cabbage as my row of chickens.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

The fifth. I pleads it. :D

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. dtalbott

Saw a sign for Culver's in Wisconsin. Showed a picture of a delicious looking cheeseburger, with the caption, "Our food is grown, not made."

Still looking for those cheeseburger seeds.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. dtalbott

Cheeseburger on the hoof.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tried herbs this year. The first round of oregano died off one long trip to the races. Just got back after 20 days and guess we got enough rain because everything is looking okay albeit not great. Hope with regular water it'll all start growing more.

Did Basil last year and it was fantastic, just didn't survive the first frost. Going to try and replant it and bring it inside this fall.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Somebody page Cannoli. She was the resident expert on growing stuff. I remember a few discussions about her garden.

Chris, Steeltoe and bleacht like this.
  16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

FWIW, if you mixed 3 parts permits to 1 part vermiculite you wouldn't need the potting soil up top in a DTW system. The vermiculite will retain enough moisture at the root area for the upper roots while the reservoir below will hold moisture for 2-3 days.

Biggest advantages to that for an indoor grow is most potting soil harbors bugs that can harm your plants.

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  17. SuddenBraking

I used 100% perlite in my indoor (drip) DTW grows. The goal is to have the media which holds the least amount of water to feed as often as possible.

But my preferred method of growing indoors is media-less - I built a (IMO) fairly cool coliseum replica out of 90 PVC wyes which was a top feed NFT (also setup for LP aero eventually). I'll see if I can dig up some old photos without plants in it to keep this thread General friendly ;)

rocalotopus likes this.
  18. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

My garden has not fared well this year. Having two young dogs romping in the back yard hasn't helped. Maybe I'll try the bucket thing next year.

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

21 Tomato plants {7 varities}
    72 Pepper plants- Ranging from mild to Habanero

Attached Files:

20. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

With drippers you are correct, the media shouldn't retain moisture. I was referring to hand-watered DTW set-ups. Watering every 2-3 days and not having to worry about a pump failure or clog was my goal.