1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody driven on an untorqued car wheel?

Discussion in 'General' started by tiggen, Nov 17, 2021.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

In high school my 87 Jetta started clunking when I turned one direction. My uncle was a mechanic and I asked him about it. We went to pull the wheel off and all the lugs were only finger tight. He asked if I had some enemy’s at school. Probably…… but me and a friend also took a doobie break last time we worked on it and forgot to torque em! Tightened them up and drove it till it died. No problem.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

I’ve driven from Houston to Austin with a couple loose nuts. Just realized it while on a work call, walking around the rental car (Chrysler 300) and wondering why some were sticking out. Can’t remember how many but it was on all 4 wheels. no wobble

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Metalhead and……………

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

nah, a guy from Boston and an eastern German

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Tom Scholz or one of the replacement musicians?

Phl218 likes this.
  6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

VW…goodntite.

BDF6D90D-BCB2-436C-937B-4F43BDB489B5.jpeg

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You've got half of a country music hit written right there.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Impacting lugs on are for shops/people that don't change that many tires or are comfortable with the occasional fallout. I worked at a shop that sold 50-200 tires a day plus flat repairs and rotations. Impacting on lugs can't be done at that scale. The tightening procedures - including torque sticks and torque wrenches - kept mistakes to a minimum and the lawyers away.

VW wheels are hub-centric. If the wheel and hub fit still together nicely, you shouldn't have issues.

BigBird likes this.
  9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That's why you have a 8 inch rod threaded on one end. It makes setting the wheel on a hell of a lot easier. I forget what they call them but I have one in the trunk oft all the German and Swedish shit we own. They are mandatory for anything with a carbon ceramic rotor. Makes it really hard to daqmage the rotor.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

cross pattern, twice! then torque, and drive. re-torque after 25-50 miles. Ski

Phl218 likes this.
  11. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Yep. Sucks. Hell I;ve ridden a bike that the front caps on teh axle were loose (fucking dealer never tightened the axle caps on the g/f's HD when we picked it up) and the bike shook a bit.

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Did a sprint race at Daytona with no nut on the rear axle. The transition from on throttle to off was interesting. Think I finished 3rd LOL

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  13. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Hey! That's my line!!

14. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Pilot pin? I'm getting one.

After inspection all looked good. Been driving a couple times around the neighborhood. All seems well. Gonna taknit on the interstate to go get a new set of lug bolts as @Dave K suggested.

Thx for replies.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

He only suggested that so you’ll send him your old ones. He’s too cheap to buy new ones himself. ;)