1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any WERA linemen?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Apr 23, 2019.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Hot stick???

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I am a dumb southern poultry lawyer. Please explain. Lol.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  3. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

You can't physically touch the conductors due to the voltage. You have to use fiberglass sticks that have attachments to work on the lines. It's a speciality skill set within line work. I'll see if I have any pictures.

4. Dave675

Hot stick, you are isolated from the voltage with use of fiberglass sticks.

Barehand, you become the same potential of the conductors.

5. Dits

The proverbial third rail?

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

He sounds like quite a worker, that's a good trait these days. Has he ever mentioned working for himself? Does he have a specific skill, roofing? Someone driven like that could do very well owning his own business as a skilled tradesman. I know a 30 year old roofer knocking down at least 500k a year because he takes it serious.

7. Dave675

I've never worked on rail, but when they do helicopter work, they wand onto the conductor, the whole aircraft becomes the same potential of the conductor. Difference in potential is what kills you, not the voltage per se.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Hold on...now even chickens have lawyers?
    If my egg or chicken breast availability gets negativity impacted, I'm blaming you.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have 35 years with a utility, ended up as the electrical maintenance supervisor at at nuke power plant. One thing I've noticed with my local utility is that they are down-sizing their line crews. Used to be that PP&L did all their own line work. Now it appears as if a large portion is subcontracted out to outfits like Henkels & McCoy. Not sure how the rest of the industry is approaching this issue but it really is a small industry where most do the same thing.

10. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

All the power companies and T&D contractors in our area are always hurting for lineman. Seems like a good way to work hard and make damn good money to me. Thick skin will be needed.

11. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

My company has to contract out a lot of work due to lack of manpower. The labor/groundman positions are now absorbed by the lineman and add in that we can't get qualified help that want to live in our area, everyone earns their money.

12. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

SELCAT or any of the other 8 outside line JATCs in the US. I did my apprenticeship through Cal/Nev. Have him apply to all of them or wherever hes willing to relocate to. Most places want a line school under their belt before applying. It shows that if they willing to spend their money on school they want it, high wash out rate. Its not 100% necessary to get it, although it helps. This trade isnt for most people. We have a hard ass working apprentice right now but he cant retain info for shit. Hes about to get washed out. Another apprentice came from 8 years as a marine, wars and all that shit, he thinks hes entitled to something and has a chip on his shoulder. Hes about to get washed out.
    Best trade in the world.

Joe Lopez and ts199 like this.
  13. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

I come from a long line of IBEW wireman and lineman. Grandfather, father, Uncle, brother and two nephews. My brother started with a tree trimming company after high school, worked his way into a lineman job and now is working for the utility company Union Electric. He makes six figures, has great benifits and a nice retirement fund waiting for him when the time comes. He worked his ass of dragging branches and climbing trees for a few years and did a lot of storm work but it has paid off. Not bad for a kid that got kicked out of high school for smoking weed and got his diploma at summer school. He is a hard worker though and that paid off for him. It didn’t hurt that he had lots of family to get him into the union. Good luck to your son, he will do fine as they weed out the ass kissers and slackers quick and the cream rises to the top in that profession.

AC1108 likes this.
  14. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

BTW SELCAT is earn while you learn apprentcieship. As with the other Outside Line JATCS. SLTC or out here its NLC is a Pre-apprenticeship school that you pay for to see if you want to do this. Basically hell learn how to climb and come out thinking he knows it all.

15. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

What are the voltage thresholds for both?

16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Who are we talking about Dits? Zach or Zane? Either way I wish them all the luck.
    Tell 'em I said hey and I miss those days when they used to "help" me with race control. :D

17. Dits

Zack. You're right, it seems like yesterday they were the little boys sweeping pit spots for a dollar at Jennings.

Sabre699 likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I still laugh about one of them asking you to help them with a rhyme for capitalization and you coming here. :D

Ballet of a fort shitter! :crackup:

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I can tell you anything you want to know about Newnan.

20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I feel like I could do most any job on this Earth with enough training.

But there is just no way I could ever do what linemen do.............nothing scares me more than electricity. Don't know why, I guess where some people hate heights I can't stomach the thought of getting fricassee'd into obilivion by having 1.21 jigawatts course through my body.

Props to your boy.........I really hope both my kids consider good trades like that.......college is just seeming more and more ridiculous these days.