1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

Well, after lurking in this damn thread for a decade, I finally did a thing.

I'm a Army brat, and I've always liked 24hr time. GMTs have always been top of my list, and I fell in love with the Polar Explorer a couple of hundred pages back. Can't reconcile spending that kind of money, so I've spent more-time-than-is-rational looking at various homages from Steinhart, Mathey Tissot, et al. Thought I'd get a Seiko or a Citizen for a while. Thought about reaching for a Tag or a Tudor, but still too rich for my blood. Knew I wanted an automatic, and it needed to be a GMT.

Was ready to give up and get another Garmin to tell me to stand up and move, when a thought struck me. How about something American? That lead me down several different rabbit holes which ultimately led to me The Detroit Watch Company. Husband and wife designers in the automotive world hung out a shingle for watches in 2014. Designed and assembled in the US using workhorse Swiss movements (this watch uses the same movements as several others I considered). I sent an email with some questions and received a fast and friendly response. Discovered that number "88" was available (my race number) and took it as a sign.

Arrived today. Packaging was first rate. Went a little nuts on straps (ordered 2 additional: brown and black). The blue strap was a bit of a flyer (wasn't sure I could pull it off), but the owner recommended it, and in-person, I can see why. It just works.

Anyway, I just got it, am pretty excited, and wanted to share. Thanks for the years of ideas, images, and entertainment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nice!

KCFirebolt likes this.
  3. KCFirebolt

The watch came with a framed sketch too. Thought that was a nice touch.
    [​IMG]

Wish the photos could pick up the blue on the min. hand. Here's a pic of the black strap w red stitching. I like the deployment clasp with a leather strap. Never had one before.
    [​IMG]

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I never should have looked at their site :crackup:

KCFirebolt likes this.
  5. KCFirebolt

I really like the moon-phase watches. The good news is that, unlike potato chips, I can stop at one . . . . right?

Kolbe likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that'd be a nope. I'm currently wanting their blue diver...with both bands...

KCFirebolt likes this.
  7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

@KCFirebolt I can't see your pics for some reason. Anybody in the same boat ?

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I can't either? Even opened up the BBS on a different browser and nothing.

9. KCFirebolt

Jedb likes this.
  10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

That's a nice one. Good combination of dress and function!
    Did they do 100 of each colour face, or 100 total?
    Exhibition back is good.

KCFirebolt likes this.
  11. KCFirebolt

Thanks! My first automatic, so I couldn't help but want to see the works.

100 of each color watch face, in this case 100 blue face and 100 white face.

Jedb likes this.
  12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I never wear watches but picked this up at duty free cause F1 and Gulf colors.
    [​IMG]

yzfpat, NemesisR6, sdiver and 6 others like this.
  13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Steel watches from the Top Houses are non-existent.

14. Jedb

15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Holy Trinity!?

Top Houses (IMO), Holy Trinity + JLC, Rolex, L&S, Omega...

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am not good at rotating watches.
    Once they go on the wrist, they stay for a few weeks or quite a few.

Rotated to my Orient.
    Aesthetically pleasing still but mechanically, something off.
    It is starting to show its age (6 years or so).
    So, it came off quickly. :)

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

On FB, bombarded by ads from watch microbrands, etc.
    To-date, I have not seen anything original but lots of products that speak to innovation (unfounded, IMO) and the typical conflating of water resistance and waterproof.

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Plenty of steel watches from Trinity. Vacheron Overseas, AP Royal Oak, Patek Nautilus/Aquanaut, A Lange Sohne Odysseus ...just to name a few of each of their most popular models.

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The white gold on rubber strap is GD ridiculous.

Phl218, Hawk518 and sdiver like this.
  20. Jedb

You clearly don't know how to roll gangsta style...