1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I had one of those, it's some place but hell if I can remember where it is. :D

Just seeing what's out there in the watch world that might light up my liver.

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Jedb likes this.
  3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. The Marie Antoinette watch is crazy as is the story! I did some digging which led to reading about the Berguet Sympathique and holy shit is that a crazy clock/watch.
    https://www.breguet.com/en/timepieces/masterpieces/sympathique-clock

That's great. Total power move.
    - lets start at one million
    - 10 million!
    - :eek:
    :crackup:

4. SteveThompson

Rumor has it that the high bidder was Rolex.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Holy Fuck there are some ballers in that crowd..

6. SteveThompson

My wife and I visited the AD last week. I sat here and pretended like I was one of those people.

[​IMG]

I did buy this. I was a little on the fence about it, but after wearing it for a few days... I really like it!

[​IMG]
    host image online
    host image online

Phl218, Jedb, yzfpat and 3 others like this.
  7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Nice! Good to see more Tudor wearers on here too.

8. SteveThompson

I just finished another project. Sorry this place has become my watch diary!

I built this for my dad for his birthday. It has a Sea-gull 3600 manual wind movement. It’s a Chinese knockoff of an ETA 6497. It has a stainless case with exhibition case back. I was even able to regulate it and get decent results. It is the movement that the online class I have been taking uses for practice. It’s a little big but I really like it. The whole thing, gift box and all, cost me about $105.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yzfpat, alan, sdiver and 10 others like this.
  9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I like it! Nice job!

SteveThompson likes this.
  10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I really dig that.

SteveThompson likes this.
  11. tsflstb

tsflstb Well-Known Member

Jedb and Phl218 like this.
  12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

The speculators are at it again. I’ve heard from 2 different ADs that this might be the year that the Milgaus, Explorer and Explorer II get the 32xx movement. I personally don’t think they’ll do all 3 in one year. Oh, and the Explorer/II could get a cerachrom bezel. We’ll see...and we’ll se if this is the year my name comes up on any of the lists for a white Explorer II. Not holding my breath.

RichB and Jedb like this.
  13. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Not sure how they would execute a ceramic bezel on the Explorer II without really making the watch drastically different. And the crown seems to love small incremental change vs wholesale change.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I went with Tyler to a couple Rolex dealers and they put his name on a list for a few options, he likes. Stainless GMT II, Submariner or Yachtmaster. I was surprised there was almost no stock, and found out Rolex is closed through January.

Based on what @worthless said and what Tyler told me about lists, it sounds highly unlikely he will get called back. They probably sell to previous customers who have bought a bunch and then those guys flip them to make money.

I think he said the GMT list is around $9k and the used ones are 12-13k?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  15. SteveThompson

That all sounds about right.

There are not as many flippers as you think though. I don’t know of any AD’s who purposely sell to flippers. I’m sure they exist but they have no real incentive to do so. They are more likely to leverage the desirable pieces to sell less desirable ones or high markup precious jewelry. I’ve never even experienced that tactic overtly. It’s just part of the dance.

Rolex is nothing compared to the sport Patek’s. They sell for more than double msrp on the secondary market.

It’s been said a lot of times on this thread, but you should get him to consider a Tudor. It is a Rolex. Most are certified chronometers and are damn nice watches. Not quite the quality of Rolex but close. Plus the price is attractive.

tony 340, Boman Forklift and Jedb like this.
  16. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If Tudor is an option, I was at Tourneau at the King of Prussia Mall (near Philly) and they had 3 different versions of the fastrider including the Ducati fastrider. Was a little over $5k.
    upload_2021-1-2_21-38-12.png

Phl218 likes this.
  17. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Hey Rob - merry belated Christmas. Did you go to Bobs or the Watch Connection? Curious cause I am grabbing a gmt from bobs and getting the daughter a watch for her first birthday. Wife will take care of it for her until she’s 18 then pass it along.

Phl218 and Jedb like this.
  18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Picked this up a few weeks ago while on a ban for performance enhanced posting :) Found it as a mint full set from Hong Kong collector who picked it up in Japan.

[​IMG]

yzfpat, Jedb, SteveThompson and 2 others like this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Hey Jason,
    Merry belated Christmas to you too. We went to a couple dealers in the malls.

We looked up Bob’s and they weren’t open on the weekend, but he will go check them out sometime.

Hadn’t heard of watch connection, so we will have to check that one out.

20. Boman Forklift

Hey Steve, thank you for the suggestion. He said he will look them up and see what he may like.